Roadkill bhp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Reaction score
found this guy on monday night while i was out an about herpin' he was run over i'd say about 30sec before i got to him.

Whenever i find a road kill snake i'l take it home and check its stomach contents, it doesnt smell the best but its interesting to see what they have been chowing down on.

Nice looking bhp.... real shame.

re Roadkill

Thanks for pic ice,you should have told it to wake up cause its protected by her majesty Queen liz and it hasnt got pemission to die from depatment of enviro and agriculture and whatever :D

no it was hit by the roadtrain that i let past me, so he did really have a chance. yes it is a great looking bhp i must say.
zulu- maybe i should have but he was dead when i got to him. yes he is protected by law but some people don't give a flying f@%! about that, they just think the only good snake is a dead one, should always take camera with u coz u never know what there an if u do find something u can take pics of it, be it dead or alive.
olivehydra- i live in far nth qld, why?

iceman said:
no it was hit by the roadtrain that i let past me, so he did really have a chance. yes it is a great looking bhp i must say.
zulu- maybe i should have but he was dead when i got to him. yes he is protected by law but some people don't give a flying f@%! about that, they just think the only good snake is a dead one, should always take camera with u coz u never know what there an if u do find something u can take pics of it, be it dead or alive.
olivehydra- i live in far nth qld, why?

Just wondering about locality of the snake, thought it looked like a Queenslander. Nice place to live for herps I would imagine? Cheers.

dont know about nice place to live, but on the right night up there it is a great place to herp an he is the 3rd roadkill bhp i have seen now in about a year.
cheers.

was it still moving? Because in the first pic i can see its tongue out and in the second pic it isn't out? Just wondering. Such a shame :(

iceman said:
dont know about nice place to live, but on the right night up there it is a great place to herp an he is the 3rd roadkill bhp i have seen now in about a year.
cheers.

I spent the first couple of years of my life in Mosman (nth of Port Douglas) but was too young to appreciate the herps so I must get back there I suppose.

I've been on 4 herp trips up north and so far have found about 20 dead bhp's (all roadkill) and 0 live one 's , it's heart breaking . You find some real stunners to ,hopfully next time i get to see some live one's .

jonathon- no it was dead when i got to him man, yes its a really bloodly shame.
swampie- yes next time i hope to c some live ones that would be great an yes it breaks my heart to c any snake dead from roadkill, to tell the true i just about cry when i come across him dead on the road.
olivehydra- let me know when ur goin to come back up an we'll go out herpin one night.

iceman said:
jonathon- no it was dead when i got to him man, yes its a really bloodly shame.
swampie- yes next time i hope to c some live ones that would be great an yes it breaks my heart to c any snake dead from roadkill, to tell the true i just about cry when i come across him dead on the road.
olivehydra- let me know when ur goin to come back up an we'll go out herpin one night.

Sounds like a deal, if you're in Sydney I'll repay the offer and show off our resident bluetongue :wink:

I'd love to see that bluey Olive. Last one I found here was paralised in the back legs because the local dogs had their way. Maybe I will get a chance when we compare our new babies!!!

peterjohnson64 said:
I'd love to see that bluey Olive. Last one I found here was paralised in the back legs because the local dogs had their way. Maybe I will get a chance when we compare our new babies!!!

Sounds all good, I'd have to say that the last and next few weeks are going soooo slow :wink: Got my enclosure all set up and temps and humidity are all good. If you havent got it yet, I cannot recommend Greg Maxwells book highly enough (complete chondro).

Ordered the book through teh Herp shop but is sold out. Dont receive until 18 January. I hope we get diff. sexes!!!

peterjohnson64 said:
Ordered the book through teh Herp shop but is sold out. Dont receive until 18 January. I hope we get diff. sexes!!!
Have you been to gregs website? It actually contains a bit more info on enclosure design than the book (Fine Green Tree Pythons) I think it is www.finegtp.com. If you are interested I will post you some pics of the cage I have just finished? I think the hardest thing about keeping gtp will be the "hands off rule", look but dont touch :wink:

thanks mate. Would love a look. Stuart basically told me to keep the guy in the container I get him in for a while. A constant 28 degrees. Humidity. and all should be fine. Is that what you read? Would love the pics though. I have his/her (whatever yours isn't I hope) adult cage ready but thats it.

peterjohnson64 said:
thanks mate. Would love a look. Stuart basically told me to keep the guy in the container I get him in for a while. A constant 28 degrees. Humidity. and all should be fine. Is that what you read? Would love the pics though. I have his/her (whatever yours isn't I hope) adult cage ready but thats it.

Will pm you tomorrow with pics
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back