roman nose terriers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Never" heard the term roman nose associated with them, till I saw this thread......back In the UK, and as far as I know, here, other than their proper names, the two terriers are colloquially known as "Bullies" and "Staffies".........both breeds, are fantastic dogs!

i have a stardom miniature bull terrier , although he isnt that mini as he weighs at least 20kg he is the most loving dog, fantastic with our children , he has become a bit of a couch potato he is very much an inside dog and is very spoilt his playmate is a staffy . We got ours desexed ,because he took off once right out the front door and went missing for 3 months by some miracle we got him back. If you are looking to get one contact the nsw bull terrier club they have a list of reputable breeders.

If you've been around the Bully scene for any length of time you will know the term "roman nose" is a big no no... the other one that gets thrown around is "banana nose".

i have a stardom miniature bull terrier , although he isnt that mini as he weighs at least 20kg he is the most loving dog, fantastic with our children , he has become a bit of a couch potato he is very much an inside dog and is very spoilt his playmate is a staffy . We got ours desexed ,because he took off once right out the front door and went missing for 3 months by some miracle we got him back. If you are looking to get one contact the nsw bull terrier club they have a list of reputable breeders.

Mines from bloodline stardom double trouble but he's not a mini. :)

If you've been around the Bully scene for any length of time you will know the term "roman nose" is a big no no... the other one that gets thrown around is "banana nose".

what term do they use, from out west there just roman nose bull terriers
banana nose hmmmmm

Roy jan 12.jpg
a pic of my mini . We have always had a bully our first was a standard .

Edit: and if you get yourself a boy DO NOT cut his ballz off. If you do you'll end up with a weird leggy looking thing without that bull type muscley body. And it's really funny when they sit down and just rest their balls on the floor hahhaa. Bully owners will know what i'm talkin about.

You can get them neutered, just do it after they reach 2.5 - 3 years old. It's actually recommended that male dogs get done at this time anyway to give them time to develop (not many people realise though) I did this with my German Shorthaired Pointer - he was originally a show dog so needed to be entire anyway, but after falling away from the showing scene he got chopped a few months ago after he was 2 yrs old - he is definitely fully filled out and 'male' looking.

Hey damian83,

Keeping English Bullies is indeed a challenging and rewarding experience. They are unlike most other dogs in a few subtle and surprising ways. They are intelligent yet stubborn, powerful and loyal in ways that I can't compare to other breeds. They run rings around staffies (no offence to staffy owners). I have put more time into raising these two of mine than most and have learned a little about what makes them tick. They require serious dedicated training and attention daily from day one, otherwise I believe you they won't listened to you.

Inexperienced people who think they are stupid and disobedient are misguided as they are extremely focussed and committed. This makes changing their mind difficult once they have made their's. If a bully is disobedient, the owner hasn't put the time in. A friend of mine has a dog from the same littler as one of mine and has let the training and connection slide a bit, he now has a difficult dog to keep at 14 months of age. This dog has matured, doesn't tolerate other dogs and is extremely defensive of his yard. This same dog put me in hospital overnight recently from a bite i received splitting up a spontaneous fight.

They will certainly put you to the test during adolescence around kids. You're practically adopting a 20kg+ kid that likes to jump and play around. If it sounds like too much work, they might not be suitable.

As mentioned, dogzonline.com can be a good place to start the search and it is where I found one of my dogs. The only draw back is talking with some of the breeders who can be a bit arrogant. I think I spoke to over a dozen breeders until I found a viable option.

Swampie,

I got the black eared bitch after missing out on your brindle one, have you bred them since?

Cooltorsobro,

you are too kind. My crittters love compliments. Keep the user name a secret..lol

Another shot of Rhino. Bullies are #1.

DSC02809.jpg

Hey John,

I haven't bred the brindle bitch again but I kept the red bitch out of that last litter and will most likely breed her next time she comes into season which shouldn't be to far away now.

Cheers,
Al

Al,

Do you have any pictures you'd like to share? Do you or would you stud out male/s?

Cheers,
John.

John,

I don't have any pics sorry but can take some. I only have bitches, but if your bitch is papered and you are a member of dogs Qld I can put you onto some breeders with some nice stud dogs. You can even buy frozen sperm and get a vet to AI for you.

Cheers,
Al

LOL at "Roman Nose" anyway English Bullterriers are a pain in the butt! they are stupid, hard to train, clumsy, some have a very high prey drive , and are dominant by nature.
The pure white ones are generally deaf and any pink pigment on their face, ears and nose makes them highly susceptible to sunburn and skin cancer.
They can also be very rough (not aggressive) with children.
English bullterriers also have a nasty habit of eating un digestible items from around the house.
The American Staffordshire terrier would be my pick they are about the same size but they are a lot more intelligent and much more responsive to training.
Sorry if i offend anyone but truth hurts lol.

Frozenmouse, I don't know where your getting your information from but its all wrong wrong wrong.... did I mention you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back