Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelrose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Rough Scaled Pythons are now available to the public - Unless you're Victorian

Does anyone else in VIC find this statement a little.... mean.... this is all ive heard about it, can someone please fill me in about the where, why fors, and howcomes.....?

I don't like it... Please explain..... (in pauline hanson's voice)

Angel

In NSW you have to class 2 catefory 3 to even be able to keep them. So they arnt really an option for a lot of us as well.

we get screwed all the time.... whole bunch of monitors we can't have. But i can get an taipan without waiting two-three years, just pay the ca$h. Stupid

with rsp i understand why they are not on our lic. Its not everyday you see them turn up in captivity, so there has been no point to have them on our lic. Yes gtp's are also hard to get, but the numbers are in captivity for privite ppl, not the cash with rsp. JMO

Re: RE: Rough Scaled Pythons

keelow said:
we get screwed all the time.... whole bunch of monitors we can't have. But i can get an taipan without waiting two-three years, just pay the ca$h. Stupid

well, there is a reason for that, they dont want to make elapids available to people without proper experience with snakes

RE: Re: RE: Rough Scaled Pythons

Tommo, read that quote again. I think you read it back to front.

...lol, ok i agree with it now :D

But aren't we lucky that the monitors we can have are easy get hold of? On our Basic Licence you can keep the basic gilleni, trsitis and also the more 'sought after' varanids such as indicus, mertensi and varius.

:( Theres always going to be problems when wildlife legislation is enacted on a state by state basis.Different import export fees,species lists etc.States and territories were created in the time of the horse and cart,when cummunications were primitive.Unfortunately i reckon we are stuck with it cause state polies wouldnt give their jobs up in a hurry! So you will have these inconsistancies ie. vic roughies prob,Womas4me in regard toWAs cumbersome royalties and imp exp. :( :(

In NSW you have to class 2 catefory 3 to even be able to keep them. So they arnt really an option for a lot of us as well.

Really? I thought Cat 3 was just for highly venemous species.

Rough Scaled Pythons are not on Class 2 Category 3 in NSW. Although they are not currently in writing as being on the species list, as Jeff Hardy explained ALL Australian reptiles with the exception of sea-turtles, sea-snakes and crocodiles are able to be kept by private keepers. I would assume Rough Scaled Pythons are on Class 2 (no additional categories). The Class 2 Cat.3 you're thinking of Alex is the Rough-scaled snake, not RSP. These are a different (and venomous) species.

Also as Jeff explained, if you are wanting to keep a species which is not listed in the PDF file available for download, just contact DEP (NPWS) and they will tell you what category that species is under, and the species code.

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back