Roughy Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YayPythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a few questions in regards to Rough Scaled Pythons.

1. How long is an adult at full size? (As in a after they really slow down growing and almost stop)

2. How thick are they at this age?

3. What is an average price for a hatchling?

4. What is the recommended cage size for an adult?

5. Can I model the cage design of a GTP's cage design just a different size enclosure.

6. Why are they on a class 2 licence in NSW.

7. Last question, would you get one?

Thanks,
YayPythons :D

Last edited:
I have heard people say that roughies are fussy eaters and there colouring is dull and boring... My girl, while having a definite preference for quail, happily takes rat or mouse every week. As for colouring... I think she is more vibrant and amazing to look at than my albino darwin and GTP after she has shed, plus they have that cool colour change thing with their moods. And who could not love those eyes! Also as an added bonus they are a super placid python (except for their settling in period...then they are feral).
Hope this info helps...

1. I can not attest to adult size but my girl is 11 months old and just shy of 4 foot long. I have been told full grown is anywhere from 1.5 to 2m

2. Again can't help for adult but at her age now she is roughly 30 - 40mm at her thickest part

3. She cost me $350. I have seen for as low as $300 up to about $700. But i would think $350 -$450 would be pretty average

4. I'm not sure about the recommended cage size, my girl is in a 60 x 60 x 90H enclosure and I have no intention of upgrading her anytime soon. She doesn't seem to need the extra floor space as I have only ever seen her on the ground all coiled up when she is in shed.

5. I have a GTP of the same age in the exact same enclosure. However, the layout is different. GTP gets more humidity, much more foliage, dedicated perches, and I use red cypress mulch as a substrate (for retaining humidity). Roughies are from a more arid and rocky locality, so the enclosure is more sparse, with more ground space and a dedicated basking ledge. (see pictures)

6. Cant help there... I'm in QLD

7. ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0023.jpgIMG_2215.jpg

GTP enclosure to highlight differences...
IMG_0020.jpg

Okay, so I have a few questions in regards to Rough Scaled Pythons.

1. How long is an adult at full size? (As in a after they really slow down growing and almost stop)

2. How thick are they at this age?

3. What is an average price for a hatchling?

4. What is the recommended cage size for an adult?

5. Can I model the cage design of a GTP's cage design just a different size enclosure.

6. Why are they on a class 2 licence in NSW.

7. Last question, would you get one?

Thanks,
YayPythons :D

Answers:

1/ They can range from 4 to 7 feet in total length, but average around 5 feet max.
2/ About as thick as a golf ball at 5 feet
3/ Anywhere from $300 to $450 depending on quality and breeder
4/ In NSW, they are class C pythons (CL) - meaning climber. In QLD, as long as the cage is 3 feet by 1.5 feet by 1.5 feet is fine - but make sure you put in some sort of perch for climbing
5/ Yes - in fact the design and size would be the same since they're both roughly the same.
6/ They are still quite rare, and like GTPs they are not as common. However, they're easier to care for than a GTP. But since they're related they're in the same category.
7/ Sure, I have a pair, getting close to a year old. They're roughly 75cm long now.

Most are the very docile and usually only try to get away from you if they're making deliberate and fast movements. Avoid fast movements yourself, as this can scare them easily especially if they're young, scaring can result in flight (skittish) or fight (striking). Be warned that they have rather long teeth and a bite, even from a pretty small 4 foot specimen can hurt quite a lot, with LOTS of blood and very messy. Eye protection is advisable if you're holding them up above your chest level within striking distance (within 2 or perhaps even 3 feet) of your face. A serious bite from an adult to an eye could cause loss of that eye quite easily with their curved and long teeth especially if one of those teeth breaks off and lodges in the eyeball - that's really because their small and narrow snout size relative to the size/length of their teeth make them particularly dangerous to your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back