RSPCA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just reading up on some of the RSPCA policies and general info on their web site, and came across this:

http://www.rspca.org.au/

The material I'm refering to is found under Animal Care/Laws/...

The last paragraph in particular:
The RSPCA is actively opposed to the sale and keeping of native animals (other than captive bred birds) as pets. Due to widespread ignorance of their husbandry requirements native animals may not be provided with the diet, housing and general care which they require. Many native animals are nocturnal, so are unsuitable as pets as they are most active when the household is sleeping, and in keeping a native animal there is often a risk to the safety and health of humans and other animals. Native animals kept as pets frequently suffer from neglect which can lead to death from starvation or disease.

Without starting a heated debate, I was wondering if anyone has ever worked with the RSPCA, or has any other connection with them and can explain the policy against keeping native wildlife species, except for captive bred birds?

the line
Native animals kept as pets frequently suffer from neglect which can lead to death from starvation or disease.
is true for non-native animals as well :!:.

If you work for an institution like the RSPCA and don't keep native animals, then proberly the only ones you would see are the ones that have been negleted. This would color your opinion of all native animal keepers :(.

a few years back i contacted the RSPCA about a injured bluey i found. The response i got was that the RSPCA basically doesn't treat or help those things.

arent they for 'ALL creatures great and small'? BULL*&%$ My mum and I took in a injured frilly ages ago back in primary school, and they refused to take it, I have also taken in a couple of 'ta-ta' lizards a few times, and they have told me 'we dont do reptiles'.......SLACK!!

All these legal bodies incorporated whose priority it is to tend to the best needs of our animal friends have really lost the plot. As a concerned citizen you carry out your legal and ethical obligation to seek treatment for injured wildlife and then you are rejected treatment for whatever reason. What are your options then? Take it home and care for it and face possible legal prosecution or leave the animal to it's own devices.

I used to work for the R.S.P.C.A , way back when i was naive enough to think that helping animals[great n small] was actually their agenda.Imo they dont do reptiles and other natives because they are not classed as domestic. [lots of kind people surrender "legacy" animals, pets left to the care of R.S.P.C.A after the death of the owner, along with often quite generous funds, bequeathed to them for the animals care] I remember a small ugly half bald "legacy" dog that came with $250,000 ! it did get good care, but how many reptile owners will bequeath similar funds? I found many of their "policies a bit hard to reconcile with their image. This is why I dont work for them any longer.

They also clain pg 6 of 6 at the bottom~
R.s>p>c.a australia opposes the use of animals, dead or alive, or any parts thereof from any shelter for animal experimentation

~and~ Animals sheltered or owned by the R.S.p.c.a should not be a resource for blood, organs or any other tissue..........

CRAP! I not only remember bagging and freezing bodies for sydney uni but closing doors of the crematorium for persons from sydney uni to remove organs from bodies! and having to burn the grizzly remains, often with half their heads neatly incised away, empty body cavities and eskies leaving the shelter too. Its not pleasent to find a dog you fed that morning, disected on a table.

RSPCA do a difficult job that, quite frankly, shouldn't need to be done. If people cared for their pets better ......

I think we are getting into a demarkation/advertising dispute, it appears that the RSPCA only cares for common domestic animals while the ads give another impression.

I agree fuscus, primarily people treat animals as disposable, imo they should legislate against breeding any non purebred cat/dog, and people should need license to breed purebreds. All cats/dogs should be compulsarily sterilised PRIOR to purchase[excepting in above case] with big fines for selling virile animals. Having had to destroy 25-30 otherwise healthy dogs everyday, its little wonder they dont want people having more complicated pets[herps etc]

then they will kill all the mongeral stronger dogs purebreds are weaker and get problems when there older

This is something I have considered for a long time...And I would be interested in getting others opinions, good or bad, no offence taken....I promise :D

Anyways, I reckon that people should need a licence for every type of pet. Bird, cat, dog, horse, hell even fish.( seperate licence per different animal) This will discourage people from getting a pet just for the sake of it. The licence ( and cost) would really make them think about getting an animal and providing the requirements it needs. It would also stop all the strays and the people dumping them at animal shelters....And it would stop and shut down all those horrib pet stores that house and care for them inappropraitely...
Anyways thats just what I think....All opinions welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back