Runny green urate BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Thanks for all your input.. I will monitor him very closely.. Will keep you all updated on the results. fingers crossed xxx

Years ago, I had similar experience with 2 elapids (P. butleri), passing green slimy sludge. Both were diagnosed with amoeba infestation and came good after treatment.

Both were diagnosed with amoeba infestation and came good after treatment....

What kind of treatment??

What kind of treatment??

I honestly don't remember (25 years ago), most probably the same as for flagellates. I might be completely on the wrong track, pacreatitis sounds more like the cause but it doesn't take much to check for amoeba.

Just went and checked 1 of my big males, he hasn't eaten for about 12 weeks or so and yes there is some green bile mixed with the urates ect.
He is about 10 years old, weighs 6kg and has been passing this green stuff every winter for as long as I can remember. There are a couple of others that also pass this bile but I only ever see it in winter.

The issue of fatty food items is something I read and heard about over many years. All my BHP and woma eat rats no more than 150 grams or a bit less and at that weight they would be as lean as.

What kind of treatment??

If it is Amoeba, Flagyl (metronidazole) and increasing the temps a bit should help. I would get the vet to look for Amoeba or other protozoa before treating for it though.
Good luck

Some potential causes of excessive bile production…
Parasitic infection of the liver- from unicellular amoeba up to visible nematodes.
Bacterial infection of the liver.
Viral infection of the liver.

[FONT=&quot]Some background info to understanding fatty liver disease [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bile and what it does....[/FONT]
Food in the intestines needs to be dissolved into tiny particles for the digestive enzymes to be able to get to all the atomically small individual molecules in order to break them down and absorb the bits into the body and then the blood.

Fats and oils do not dissolve in water, so even small blobs would take forever for the enzymes to work their way from the surface of a globule through the millions of molecules to the centre. Bile emulsifies fats and oils i.e. it acts with the water to separate out the individual molecules or small clumps of molecules. This is similar to what happens when water dissolves something – it is separated into individual particles by the water molecules. The time taken to do this explains why fatty meals taken longer to digest.

[FONT=&quot]Production and release of bile….[/FONT]
Bile is slowly but continually manufactured in the liver and stored in the gall bladder until required. The presence of fatty foods in the gut stimulates both the release of stored bile from the gall bladder and an increase in the rate of production of bile by the liver.

Continuous high levels of fat in the diet of Aspidites basically results in their liver going into overdrive in production of bile, making much more that the gall bladder can store. This over-production is one aspect of what happens as a result of “fatty liver disease”. It is indicative of the liver malfunctioning. Given the critical nature of the major functions of the liver in the body, the potential ramifications, even ignoring the effects of excessive fat on other susceptible organs, are not good.

Pancreatitis

Sorry, but I do not think so.

Blue

Hi All.

Just wanted to let you all know, we took the BHP back to the vets today, no good. His blood test results came back to show he was anemic, also had liver and kidney failure. He had him put down.
Thank you all for kind wishes and advice
Will miss you little man RIP Diego... :-(

My condolences on your loss.
Was the vet going to perform a post mortem or evn at least open it up to inspect the internal organs? If it is not too late, ask him to inspect for the presence of large amounts of fatty tissue stored intrenally. That would at least pretty well confirm if it was caused by diet.

I wish for your sake that it could have been otherwise.

Blue

Oh no. I was hoping it would go better. So sorry.

He gets 2 large rats once a month... The vet wasn't to sure and just told me to wait for the results..Fatty liver disease doesn't sound good
What weight are your large rats?

2-3 weaner rats are better food for bhps than adult/large rats. Goodluck and I really hope its not fatty liver.
What weight are your weaner rats and adult/waener rats?

Gee l have several BHP's around 10kgs and they get a sub-adult rat weekly which are a hell of a lot leaner than large adult rats especially when you are feeding are feeding two at one time imo its like eating a giant roast dinner every two days, not real good from a nutritional point of view especially for a snake that is traditionally a eater of lean food.....solar 17 (Baden)
What weight are your sub-adult and large adult rats?

The research trials I have seen show that fat percentage is reasonably consistent in rats from 50 to 200 grams although unmated female rats are fatter than male rats of a similiar age. Some keepers feed rats in excess of 500 grams which are likely to be a higher % fat.
A lot of larger size rats sold for feed seem to vary a lot in size and therefore fat % depending upon availability..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss haz1111 I had my fingers crossed for you.
wokka my weaners are approx 45-50 gms I feed 2 per feed to a 460 gm bhp. Also feed the odd day old chick, and have always ment to buy quails, but haven't yet.

Sorry for your loss haz1111 I had my fingers crossed for you.
wokka my weaners are approx 45-50 gms I feed 2 per feed to a 460 gm bhp. Also feed the odd day old chick, and have always ment to buy quails, but haven't yet.
i doubt that the fat perventage would differ much between 2 x 50 gram rats vs 1 x 100 gram rat.

a friend of mine lost a black head after it had pood green. But then he lost about 15 other snakes. He was thinking his food source may well have been contaminated. Hasn't lost an animal since he threw out all the rats from this particular supplier. All dead snakes pood green prior to death and it all happened in a fairly short space of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back