sand as substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it ok for me to use sand as a substrate for my baby Bearded dragon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zan777

Reaction score
Ok so im getting a baby beardy hatchling hopefully in the next week definetly very soon. now ive got everything set up heating lighting and the like. the only thing i have a problem with is the substrate. ive read that impaction is very common in young bearded dragons and not to use sand. ive been contemplating newspaper as an alternative. but it looks horrible, im not sure of the idea of marine carpet/astro-turf. i realy want a nautral look.

so ive come here for a final opinion. would it be ok if i sift all the sand so its just grains and no lumps and if i monitored him whilst feeding. or should i stay clear of the sand?

if youve used sand with baby beardies b4 could you post your results aswell.

thanks

Stay clear of sand. Dragons are inquisitive and often eat anything that catches their eye.

Also, it shouldn't really be an option of if it looks good or not. Your dragon's health should come absolutely first. No, marine carpet, astro turf and newspaper don't look good, but it shouldn't really matter. You're the only one looking at, and the dragon won't care.

Use tile.. it holds heat good.. it looks good and you can get brown tiles to make it look "natural".. wears there nails down naturally too. Feeders can't hide either and is easy to clean up when they poo on it :)

I'm getting a baby bearded in a few weeks too! :D

Also had this dilemma and decided on using rock finish tiles, no risk of impaction, easy to clean and looks nice. If you wanted to use sand later on you can always put it over the top of the tiles...

Have absolutely no experience or stories to back it up :lol:, just decided to go that way after reading the threads on here.

i think i remember reading that tiles are no good for their claws? it makes them grow inwards, or something like that?
if you dont want to use newspaper, what about paper towel? you can even get some fancy ones with pictures and stuff on them if you want it to look pretty lol.

i think i remember reading that tiles are no good for their claws? it makes them grow inwards, or something like that?
if you dont want to use newspaper, what about paper towel? you can even get some fancy ones with pictures and stuff on them if you want it to look pretty lol.

That is a myth.. Tile is the best substrate I reckon. Tile that has no grip can make there claws grow inwards but if you get the tile that has more grip then its ok.

I'm getting a baby bearded in a few weeks too! :D

Also had this dilemma and decided on using rock finish tiles, no risk of impaction, easy to clean and looks nice. If you wanted to use sand later on you can always put it over the top of the tiles...

Gee I love converts. :)

sands allright for adults tho i mean what do they wander around on in the wild, for juvies tho id agree i dont even use newspaper cuz there poos are so tiney you just wipe it up in a paper towel and throw it in the bin and it means crix have no where to hide mwahahahahahaha

I've pretty much always used tiles with no issues whatsoever. But as Dave94 said, you need ones with a rough surface. Highly glazed tiles are a no no, not to mention the fact they make your enclosure look like a bathroom floor!! :D

sands allright for adults tho i mean what do they wander around on in the wild

When are people going to realise that in the wild beardies DO NOT walk around on loose 'beach' type sand that people purchase for enclosures. Anyone would think half of you think they live their whole lives on the beach!!! :rolleyes: For starters the sand is often compacted so they don't ingest it and they wander on a variety of ground, including hard dirt and rock.

Whether people use it without issues or not, the fact is it IS a major impaction risk, in particular if one feeds their beardies in the enclosure rather than in a seperate tub since they can't help but ingest sand when feeding. The simple fact is beardies cannot ingest tile, its easy to clean and doesn't get into sliding door tracks like sand can.

hmm i am a anti-sand user.
i generally have used astro turf, tiles and newspaper, and even bark without any health issues. my daughter will be getting some baby beardies soon, and i will just put them on some astro turf until they are older. always have a few spare peieces, so when cleaning you can just take one out to disinfect and wash, and put a spare one striaght back in. easy as.

When are people going to realise that in the wild beardies DO NOT walk around on loose 'beach' type sand that people purchase for enclosures. Anyone would think half of you think they live their whole lives on the beach!!! :rolleyes: For starters the sand is often compacted so they don't ingest it and they wander on a variety of ground, including hard dirt and rock.

Whether people use it without issues or not, the fact is it IS a major impaction risk, in particular if one feeds their beardies in the enclosure rather than in a seperate tub since they can't help but ingest sand when feeding. The simple fact is beardies cannot ingest tile, its easy to clean and doesn't get into sliding door tracks like sand can.

haha, some people listen some don't.. Sometimes you even get flamed for saying sand is bad! :lol:

hmm i am a anti-sand user.
i generally have used astro turf,

I'm anti-astro turf. :) Well, maybe not anti, but I don't know why someone would bother having to remove it, clean it really well (crickey it would STINK otherwise), and replace it every time theres a bit of poo on it VERSUS a simple wipe with paper towel and cleaner when using tiles.

Plus astro turf makes it look like a tennis court. LOL :lol:

lol fair nuff no more sand for me then, astro tuff looks good and i like watch womens tennis (when channel surfing) so now all i need is a little tiny anna cornakova (spelling?) running around in my beardy tank fingers crossed she doent get eaten :p

My central netteds and my spotted all live on sand, and have for ages. There's never been any problems at all. Not one.

People say that beardeds etc will eat sand and get impactions, but that doesn't seem to be a problem in the wild...

My central netteds and my spotted all live on sand, and have for ages. There's never been any problems at all. Not one.

People say that beardeds etc will eat sand and get impactions, but that doesn't seem to be a problem in the wild...

In the wild hatchlings get preyed on, only a few of the bunch will survive and impaction occurs just as frequently in the wild as it does in captivity.

One of the most common causes of death in beardeds.

and as for snakes and netted, i still would'nt risk it personally. Can get caught in the snakes heat pits, and netteds can also die from impaction.

You have been lucky!

i was reading some were that if the beardies eat the sand they can have problems in there digestive system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back