sand as substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it ok for me to use sand as a substrate for my baby Bearded dragon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
even if you disregard that health risks sand may look good bu its the absolute worst in terms of maintainace it gets everywhere, to throughly clean your tank you'l be removing it weekly which double your cleaning time you'll get over it in a month

... impaction occurs just as frequently in the wild as it does in captivity.

One of the most common causes of death in beardeds

Do you have ANY evidence to support that wild statement? Anything at all?

My boss, and various mates of mine with large dragon/lizard collections keep heaps of their animals on sand and have experienced zero impaction problems.

I have also never had sand caught in the heat pits of my python - I check.

My boss, and various mates of mine with large dragon/lizard collections keep heaps of their animals on sand and have experienced zero impaction problems.

The sand most people put there dragons on aren't the type of sand they would have in the wild.. and they don't just live on sand either..

Lol I use sand for my juvie. I just use the washed play sand and I've never had any problems. Safest bet tho is prob newspaper, astro turf stuff or tiles.

All the books I have here say sand. Tarongo Zoo uses sand. In the NT where you;d find Centrals the sand is loose and not compacted down like cement.

I do agree that sand can cause impaction but I'd like to see evidence to show that its more of a problem then Woodies or Crickets causing Impaction because everywhere Ive looked there seems to be nothing.

Friends a wildlife carer in nsw and he used to work at sydney reptile zoo, he gets ALOT of beardies coming in with impaction problems, not just with sand and dirt but with sticks and stones.

Also worked at a vet and reasoning for the majority of domestic beardeds being there was due to impaction.

Like i said you've been lucky, it is most common with beardeds but other lizards do get imacted stomachs also, anyone who has had a large number of beardies on sand without any problems is VERY lucky, especially with hatchlings.

But why would you even risk it?

But why would you even risk it?

Exactly? Sand doesn't help the beardies in anyway... Is it just so you can make the tank look good? It's a trouble to clean and can cause impaction? If you really think they enjoy digging in the sand get a 5-20L tub fill it with sand and let them dig in that and take it out after there finished.

Exactly? Sand doesn't help the beardies in anyway... Is it just so you can make the tank look good? It's a trouble to clean and can cause impaction? If you really think they enjoy digging in the sand get a 5-20L tub fill it with sand and let them dig in that and take it out after there finished.

Haha exactly. Alot of them only really dig to nest, or to make there little beds at night time and they can do this just as well in reptile pellet substrate and the substrate is in no way harmful to them AND it looks good.

Picture of my eldest female nested and layed in cheap newspaper based kitty litter;
and another one of my females on my favourite substrate

Last edited:
Haha exactly. Alot of them only really dig to nest, or to make there little beds at night time and they can do this just as well in reptile pellet substrate and the substrate is in no way harmful to them AND it looks good.

Picture of my eldest female nested and layed in cheap newspaper based kitty litter;
and another one of my females on my favourite substrate

Nice female :)

This is the tile I had for my female but I've gotten nice big rough ones for her 4x2x2 tank now.. it cost me like 7dollars and you never have to replace them! ;)

001-11.jpg

Nice female :)

This is the tile I had for my female but I've gotten nice big rough ones for her 4x2x2 tank now.. it cost me like 7dollars and you never have to replace them! ;)

Beautiful big fat healthy yellow bearded!
I don't use tiles simply because i have alot of rocks in their enclosures and they are up high so i try and not put anything too heavy in there just because i am crazy and paranoid : D

Beautiful big fat healthy yellow bearded!
I don't use tiles simply because i have alot of rocks in their enclosures and they are up high so i try and not put anything too heavy in there just because i am crazy and paranoid : D
''

Thanks, I should of mentioned that it isn't a good idea to have high logs/rocks etc on tile as they can slip too and could crush your dragon. Her enclosure only has a basking platform, hide and a bowl for veggies etc.

That is a myth.. Tile is the best substrate I reckon. Tile that has no grip can make there claws grow inwards but if you get the tile that has more grip then its ok.

Tiles that "have grip" are a problem also, usually being unglazed therefore porous
and extremely difficult to clean.

Tiles that "have grip" are a problem also, usually being unglazed therefore porous
and extremely difficult to clean.

Tiles are much EASIER to clean then sand, carpet etc.

Not sure if you can see the detail on my tiles, but anyway they are rough and not at all slippery. They are rock finish porcelain which, as Australis pointed out are slightly porous - which is easy fixed with spray on sealer (and have now been tested and are no longer porous :D).

Will be nice when i can post pics with a dragon on them :D

Attachments

• IMGP1055 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1055 (Medium).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 51
Not sure if you can see the detail on my tiles, but anyway they are rough and not at all slippery. They are rock finish porcelain which, as Australis pointed out are slightly porous - which is easy fixed with spray on sealer (and have now been tested and are no longer porous :D).

Will be nice when i can post pics with a dragon on them :D

how much did they set you back minke?

how much did they set you back minke?

Do i have to answer that??? :oops: :lol: The (4) tiles - $25, grout, silicon, sealer - about $20 and diamond tipped blade - 2 for $20... I did get a spare tile to practice on though. Probably could have gone cheaper, but never have to buy sand etc, so over the years...

But they are commercial rated, so they should never wear down with the foot traffic LOL. And they do look pretty... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back