scale-less corn snakes.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
310 Million years ago the first reptiles left the water and evolved scales to protect them from the elements and to hold in moisture. In the last couple of years, people have taken a mutation that would not have survived the wild and tried to perfect it. I have to ask about the reptiles immune system that has been evolving for 310 million years to be protected by tough scales and not porous skin. I've also got to ask about wear on the skin under the snake and whether they can get a proper grip for movement without gripping scales.
On saying that I think they look like a cat with no fur....not for me but each to their own.
Things like these always remind me of a line from Jurassic Park....Just because we CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean we SHOULD.
They have Ventral scales. The corn snakes do at least

Yeah, I did see that.....Those do. What I'm saying is just a general question.:) We don't really know all the repercussions yet. This is not like changing direction of stripes or changing colouration, This is a major physical change. 310 million years of immune system evolution based on having scales to protect it and suddenly....no scales but has their immune system changed to adapt to a scaless body?........Just food for thought.:))

I wouldn't have thought it was a big issue considering the antiseptic conditions captive snakes are kept in when compared to the wild

310 Million years ago the first reptiles left the water and evolved scales to protect them from the elements and to hold in moisture. In the last couple of years, people have taken a mutation that would not have survived the wild and tried to perfect it. I have to ask about the reptiles immune system that has been evolving for 310 million years to be protected by tough scales and not porous skin. I've also got to ask about wear on the skin under the snake and whether they can get a proper grip for movement without gripping scales.
On saying that I think they look like a cat with no fur....not for me but each to their own.
Things like these always remind me of a line from Jurassic Park....Just because we CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean we SHOULD.

Well, if you look at it like that, you could say the same for most color morphs. How long do you think an albino would last in the wild against predators. An albino childrens hunting at night would look like a neon sign to an owl saying 'EAT ME". lol

Unless these herps are being kept in a sterile plastic bubble it is not that sterile. But what I'm saying is what is their resistance to diseases?, Is it painful for them to move without ventral scales or do they have trouble moving since their movement is based on moving and gripping with their ventral scales? Do they over/underheat? Animals without scales or fur can sweat when hot, reptiles can't. We have created an animal that evolution hasn't perfected. This is pretty much a new animal to science. I think they need to be studied a bit more before they are mass produced for the market. I personally wouldn't get one due to too many unknowns ..........and I think they look like drowned rats.....ugly....but thats me. People also like hairless cats but each to their own.:)

I don't think we should deliberately breed animals that are in physical pain because of their physiology.

That said, I find the 'argument from unnaturalness' completely arbitrary. The 'wild/natural form' is the way things ended up, the least likely to die in that environment at that time, and as such is not prescribed, but just a random result. Our personal tastes can lead us to prefer these naturally developped forms, but that's all they are, tastes.

Scaleless corn snakes have been around for years, and the adders have too, right? So there should be data on any health problems.

Albino crocs, snakes and skinks have all survived to adulthood in the wild on lots of occasions. This is different...WE created these as far as I know, not nature. A random mutation.

I'm not against unnatural, but have these been studied by the pet industry or the scientific community? The pet ind would say they're ok don't worry about it...sell, sell, sell.

Last edited:
How did we create them? They weren't genetically engineered. Just like the other morphs they popped out one day and were line bred. Exactly the same as albinos

Leucistic, hypermelanistic, hypomelanistic etc have been line bred from wild caught animals, scaleless herps were line bred from captive bred animals, they obviously don't survive the wild. So what kills them? Viruses, hot, cold, predation?

Leucistic, hypermelanistic, hypomelanistic etc have been line bred from wild caught animals, scaleless herps were line bred from captive bred animals, they obviously don't survive the wild. So what kills them? Viruses, hot, cold, predation?

Has there been a research on this?
Viruses? what does that have to do with scales?
Hot and Cold is not really an issue because they regulate like any other snake.
And don't you think a lucy will have more trouble with predation then a scaleless?

All boils down to opinion. Mine is that this morph does well is captivity like any other snake, and it's up to the buyer to decide whether they like it or not.
Thats all they are... a captive bred animal.

Why would it be harder for them to self regulate? What about geckos with no scales?? They don't have any issues?

Why would they be more susceptible to viruses and disease? They still have a barrier to prevent these things entering their body, whether it be scales or skin.

They seem to have been around for years, any reports on health issues as yet?

As said before, we didn't 'create' them. They are a natural occurence, not engineered.

I agree they are beautiful. All Adders are in my opinion. I want one so bad but "top 10 venomous snakes" and "fastest striker in Australia" keep popping into my head

All I think of is the Pivoting fangs that I hear about from snake catchers.

The above quote makes no sense at all.
The first scaleless adders were produced by 2 wild caught animals. I kept them for many years and there is no major difference to normal adders.
They are all just random mutations that have been given more of a chance than they would get in the wild... I'd put my money on the scaleless surviving in the wild better than most of the ones mentioned in the above quote.
The adders , and most others have ventral scales and move just like every other snake.

The adder in my signature is Harvey. One side scales, the other without...You just can't make this stuff up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back