Seems a bit low..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I_am_lagan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new reptiles and also this site.
I have bought a new Stimson python and a glass terrarium, unfortunately i was loosing a lot of heat with this enclosure and i have read that a wooden enclosure will be more efficient with less heat loss. I currently have a 100watt ceramic heat emitter in the current enclose.

I've just spoken to a custom reptile enclosure builder and he is going to make me an enclosure with the dimensions of 600L x 500W x 400H. He tells me that a 60watt bulb will be sufficient to bring the enclosures hot spot up to 30 degrees celsius.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks for your time,
Nathan.

What location are you and is your enclosure inside your house?
I use a 45 or 60 watt globe in Brisbane and have a basking spot 30-40 cm away and can get 33 degrees.

Hey andynic07, thanks for your quick reply!
I live in Ipswich (QLD), and yep my enclosure is inside my house.
Oh ok, well maybe the all glass enclosure I'm using at the moment is just too large, or perhaps just poorly made.

I have only used one small glass enclosure that was 2 foot x 1.5 foot x 1 foot and I insulated the back and the sides with foam rock wall (also for privacy) and just used a 60 watt heat lamp with a basking spot really close. I only used it as an intermediate enclose between my click clack and full size enclosure for a spotted python, I found the wooden enclosures a lot better to keep the heat in.

Hey andynic07, thanks for your quick reply!
I live in Ipswich (QLD), and yep my enclosure is inside my house.
Oh ok, well maybe the all glass enclosure I'm using at the moment is just too large, or perhaps just poorly made.
Can you insulate some of the glass with some polystyrene foam, that will help retain the heat in the glass :) till u get a wooden one sorted :)

The biggest problem is heat loss through the mesh top on most terrarium setup, (remember heat rises)
A timber or melamine is by far the most economical for heating.
In a timber enclosure you can make a heat tile on the floor using a 25w heat cord and you get a nice warm basking spot the rising heat will take the chill off the rest of that side

Yeah i could feel the heat escaping from the top of the enclosure..
I'm glad to hear that the wooden enclosures are more efficient for holding in the heat. So ill guess ill just wait for my wooden enclosure to be built and in the mean time ill just try to insulate the terrarium.
Thanks for your help guys, muchly appreciated!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back