selected from topic about bigguy's death chondro.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
Re: Aussie Green Tree Python

bigguy said:
This means at the most there are now only 6 Aussie Greens left in captivity in Australia. I am now even doubtful if Steve Irwins 2 are still alive. I have not been to his park since 1995, and the picture of his GTP enclose taken by one of the members at the gathering last week shows 2 PNG Greens in it. Maybe he lost his two as well which means there are only 4 left.

So in all honesty what is being done to preserve these snakes if there are indeed only 4 left! Is it something that the powers-to-be are turning a blind eye to because of the confusion surrounding the PNG green pythons? Obviously these snakes are Australian and are highly endangered to the extent of extinction! It will be like losing the Bilbi or the Koala IMO! Who is doing what? :roll: :?: Whats your take on that Bob? Is there a save the Green Tree Python programme? :shock:

ps. I'm sad to your loss! It is a real tradgedy :cry:

Is there not a viable population in the iron range? No cap breeding prog at zoos?

There's not enough wild ones to facilitate a take-from-the-wild program, in my opinion.

That sounds pretty dire then, bet if there was that few of something furry we would all know about it quick. If there is that few though, they will need to try regardless. Be sad to see them dissappear. :shock:

Yeah, id rather have them in the thousands in captivity than in the tens in the wild.
Its always sad to see something so beautiful slowly dissapear due to human neglect.

Ahhh, the world. Like a pearl in vinegar it slowly gets eaten away by a substance that only gets bigger and stronger.....HUMANS!

Some snakes (and animals) are just not naturally abundant in the wild. Oenpellis, Rough Scaleds etc...the occupy a small niche and serve their purpose. It just so happens that the Chondros niche is all but inpenitrable rainforest, and chances are they do occur in more places up North than just Iron Range (and one other National Park that I can't think of).

That makes sense sxe, lets hope there is an undiscovered population somewhere and that noone ever wants to clearfell or logging there!!

instar said:
That makes sense sxe, lets hope there is an undiscovered population somewhere and that noone ever wants to clearfell or logging there!!

Well, where they are at the moment is the best possible place if they are to prosper...

A guy I know knows an old herper who lived up north in a makeshift shack for almost 2 years...this was about 30 years back. He had a Chondro that hung around in his rafters...photos and all.

Their have been a few people doing studies on the GTP's in Australia, and their numbers don't seem to be too low considering the area's in which they are found, which is good news.

Of course I am sure that their are people that make that trip into the deepest darkest part of the jungle, but, not just to study them, if you know what I mean.

Re: Aussie Green Tree Python

moosenoose said:
So in all honesty what is being done to preserve these snakes if there are indeed only 4 left! Is it something that the powers-to-be are turning a blind eye to because of the confusion surrounding the PNG green pythons? Obviously these snakes are Australian and are highly endangered to the extent of extinction! It will be like losing the Bilbi or the Koala IMO! Who is doing what? :roll: :?: Whats your take on that Bob? Is there a save the Green Tree Python programme? :shock:

My understanding is that there is an individual, sponsored by Australian Geographic, that is currently undertaking research on GTP's. I believe this research will be published in the AG magazine and possibly elsewhere.

Part of the problems with GTP's in the wild is that because the tend to live high in the tree tops where they are will comoflaged, that it is very difficult to tell just how well they are doing in the wild.

I find it quite illogical that GTP's, RSP's Openelli's and other species whose captive husbandry requirements are now well understood are largely unavailable to be kept by private keepers.

I think that some species are better off in the wild than in captivity. I would prefer to see chondros, carinata and oenpelliensis in the wild only. However, because there are concerns about juvenile oenpelli pythons eating cane toads, I fully support the captive breeding program at TWP.

Same goes for the viridis and carinata... If their numbers are in significant decline for some reason, well then I would support taking them from the wild for captive breeding, not before! I am not very knowledgeale on the wild status of these two species, and I dont think many people are!

I strongly believe that a captive breeding program should be instigated for the Green Tree Pythons here in Australia. David Wilson has over 100 tagged in his limited study area, so to say that if you took a dozen or so pairs from the bush for breeding purposes would jepodise their populations is just plan idiotic.

Qld NPWS gave take permits to a few individuals about 20 years ago. These appear to be now all dead, and only a few of their young still survive. Qld NPWS need to pull their heads out of their butts, and allow more to be taken now. With what we now know about breeding it would be very easy to establish breeding colonies and have them thrive. They should act before some sort of disaster occurs in the wild.

I reckon that there should be captive breed and release programs for all endangered wildlife and at the same time good habitats should be declared national parks to preserve the land against further destruction due to development. That is the only way to secure endangered wild populations.

I think a majority, if not all, of Chondros habitat is National Park. What's the point of doing captive breeding and releasing if they aren't in danger (yes, there is a low population, but by the looks of it, that's how it has been way before white man was here). You don't want to overpopulate...

There is a lady down south who breeds and releases Murray Darling carpets...that's a good idea in my opinion. They were once quite common, but are now rare due to white man, and she is restoring the population...

I went to Fogg Dam with that lady a few weeks ago... Most of her released snakes die :(

SnakeWrangler said:
I reckon that there should be captive breed and release programs for all endangered wildlife...

I agree, there is no point if they are not in danger, are they in danger or is the population safe?

sxereturn said:
There is a lady down south who breeds and releases Murray Darling carpets...
Baritji said:
Most of her released snakes die :(

How old are the Murray Darlings that she is releasing?

There is a lady down south who breeds and releases Murray Darling carpets...that's a good idea in my opinion. They were once quite common, but are now rare due to white man, and she is restoring the population...
Sxereturn,
Can I ask who this woman is thats releasing these animals into the bush? Is it part of a study thats being undertaken? I surely hope it's just not some well intentioned but ill informed individual. Releasing additional animals into an already vulnerable population could do way more harm than good. Obviously she has addressed the cause of the population decline? Just simply releasing animals to without rectifying the cause of the problem is simply sentencing them to death. As I said, I sincerely hope this is part of legitimate research as releasing captive animals into the wild as well as very foolish is also very illegal.
Regards,
Splitmore

Juveniles I believe SW..

It is for scientific research and is being conducted appropiatley

Wouldn't juveniles be to used to captive feeding or does she house them in such a way that they must catch their food as they would in the wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back