Separate Feeding Containers?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkir7979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All, what are your thought's of taking out your frogs from their enclosure and putting them into a smaller container to feed them of a night?... I personally think that feeding them in their actual environment is better, especially if you use feeding tweezers and set up the odd cricket for them to hunt as it stimulates natural behaviour.

Frogs I would say leave them in their own habitat to feed. People sometimes move snakes into a different feeding container. This is so they associate the container with feeding to prevent bites when just handling. Or if they are using sand in the enclosure which can harm snakes if they consume too much (if it sticks to their food) because they can'tn digest it.
Frogs are fine to be left. Take them out if you want but there is no real need to.

Best to feed in enclosure.sometimes u get food hogs and u might want to feed separate if some frogs arent getting enough food.

i hand feed my frog in his enclosure, too many places fro insects to disappear, plus i use that coconut (brick you soak in water) stuff for substrate and i dont want him eating it!!

I've 7 frogs in an enclosure & it would be too stressful & time consuming capturing all of them several times a week to feed them in a separate container.
The positive points are watching the frogs "spy" & hunt down the crickets. I find the scrawnier frogs to be more active & will strike at the crickets first.
The negative points is that you tend to put more crickets in every feed to compensate for the ones that hide or drown.

It really just depends on the substrate that you are using. If you are using anything that the frog could ingest and could create impaction would justify using a separate feeding container. I.E people who want to use tiny pebbles in their enclosures or bark/leaf litter should be using a separate feeding container. However, if your substrate is safe and poses no risk to your animal, it's fine to keep them in their enclosures.

Also, with young frogs that live in groups, they can suffer from bullying with the better hunters and end up scrawny and stressed. When you're housing multiple young morphs, it can be a good idea to feed them in a container to ensure that they are all getting well fed.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried using that bit ended up with lamington frogs

The substrate actually calms down after a week or two. I use the substrate and when it's fresh it gets stuck all over Lola but after a week or two it all settles down and doesn't stick anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back