setting up a gecko tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anna123

Not so new Member
Reaction score
for oedura coggeri or something of the sort
any advice?
thanks

i have my oedura castelnaui in a exo terra glass terrarium, with about 1 cm of sand as a substrate, a reptile den hide rock, exo terra suction cup plants hanging from each wall, a small hot spot of 30 degrees (powered by a heat matt.) and a stick

and they love squeezing in between stuff...

You will need to use a heat cord/mat to create a hot spot of 28-32.
A bowl of water some branches to climb and i hide.
Just use a sand substrate.That is all

is it okay to have sand as a substrate for oedura coggeris?

also are there any particular plants that i should or shouldnt use

ummm nothing with tiny tiny gaps that crickets can hide in :), and i dont have a water bowl because mine dont drink from it.... i just mist one wall of the enclousure each night before feeding

and in terms of oedura coggeri, i would imagine it would be fine.. some people disagree because of impaction but my castelnaui havent had a problem on sand..

just go to the super market and grab a spray bottle (one that doesnt contain product) they cost about 5 bucks and then fill with water and just give the walls/ plants a spray :)

I also mist the cages every night,but always have a water bowl too.
I have seen my oedura soak in it and just helps create a bit of humidity.

It's not necessary to have a water bowl. They often end up as death trap for crickets. I'veI bred Oedura through many generations with never a water bowl in sight. What is useful though is to put a small tub of moist vermiculite in the enclosure-say a margarine tub with a hole cut in the lid so they can get in. This creates a high humidity area which helps with shedding and as adults for laying eggs. Misting is OK but there's a theory that it can cause an explosion of pathogens by creating a damp film impregnated with spores of faecal material which gets kicked up by the spraying action.

okay and also, if i dust the crickets with calcium powder is it also necessary to have a bowl of rep-cal or something in the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back