Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just rdnecks, a lot of the indigenous people of the area are convinced as well. I lived at my DIL's tribal landrights claim and her grandmother was forever calling family members idiots for saying it.
This is also an interesting perspective. I have more than a grade 6 education & I like to know the facts about things :) But having spent many years in the bush, & with old timers & with indigenous people, I also know there are far more things in this world (& in particular, the Australian bush) than science knows about.
Am I going to get kicked off for being off topic here? I see there's a sign that says no chit chat up the top there ... ?
Anyway - just quickly :) - Last year I had a city guy move in up the road. He's a builder & he's very accurate at estimating lengths etc. He doesn't drink grog. He swears black & white that a goanna the size of a comodo dragon walked through his yard, several feet from his house. He's been OS & seen dragons live so he knows what they look like. I came home & googled it & found that back in the day, there were stories from indigenous & whites alike, of monster size goanna's. It scared the he!! out of this bloke. Really shook him up. And it has me wondering just what is out there. I have New England National Park behind me. Could be anything up there :)

Rough Scaled Snakes are deadly and have caused numerous human deaths. Actually one of the fastest deaths on record from a snake bite was caused by a RSS. Many years ago a man was bitten by one at Kings Cross in Sydney and died in around 5 minutes. Many people have been bitten on fingers and have tingling in their toes within minutes. Very fast acting venom that is counteracted with Tiger antivenom.

As for interbreeding between similar sub species, this normally only ever happens in captivity. In the wild these species that could cross breed rarely if ever live in the same areas. I know of only one possable interbreeding ever recorded in the wild and that was between 2 pythons of the same(genus) family.

Am I going to get kicked off for being off topic here? I see there's a sign that says no chit chat up the top there ... ?
your thread and the ids been made so i dont think the mods will mind , that rule was designed to change some of the old habits in id threads , thats the case from my knowledge anyway

on a lighter note im from coffs (well just north) and yes ive heard plenty of stories of browns breeding with coastals and apparently diamonds are everywhere ive just never seen one :rolleyes: oh and theres pockets of inland taipans scattered all over the place , inland just means you dont find them near the beach ;)

your thread and the ids been made so i dont think the mods will mind , that rule was designed to change some of the old habits in id threads , thats the case from my knowledge anyway

on a lighter note im from coffs (well just north) and yes ive heard plenty of stories of browns breeding with coastals and apparently diamonds are everywhere ive just never seen one :rolleyes: oh and theres pockets of inland taipans scattered all over the place , inland just means you dont find them near the beach ;)
Cool :) I have an old friend up that way :)

Last edited:
Rough Scaled Snakes are deadly and have caused numerous human deaths. Actually one of the fastest deaths on record from a snake bite was caused by a RSS. Many years ago a man was bitten by one at Kings Cross in Sydney and died in around 5 minutes. Many people have been bitten on fingers and have tingling in their toes within minutes. Very fast acting venom that is counteracted with Tiger antivenom.

As for interbreeding between similar sub species, this normally only ever happens in captivity. In the wild these species that could cross breed rarely if ever live in the same areas. I know of only one possable interbreeding ever recorded in the wild and that was between 2 pythons of the same(genus) family.
Thank you so much for this info :) You guys are fantastic :)

Cool :) I have an old boyfriend in Mullaway :)
hahaha whos that , i live in mullaway and have lived here since i was born most people dont know it and just drive past the turn off hence why i just say coffs ( oh and you can pm the name if youd prefer just click on my username and you will see the icon :)

Last edited:
Interesting Op you have gone from
- here is a snake we think is an interbreed, what is it?
- I like cuddly animals with wet noses
- I want a python for my first snake.
Has this thread talked you into buying a snake?

Just saying : a Rough Scale WILL even give you a Rough trip to Hospital :(

Interesting Op you have gone from
- here is a snake we think is an interbreed, what is it?
- I like cuddly animals with wet noses
- I want a python for my first snake.
Has this thread talked you into buying a snake?
Hang on a minute there! Lets have a closer look at this ...

-HE thinks is an interbreed - not we! Leave me outta that!
-Yup - you got that right :D :D
- I never said anything like that! Those words never came out of my mouth. I have fought the last 14 years of my 19 year old daughters life to NOT have a pet snake!
No - this thread has not talked me into buying a snake. I have heaps of pythons cruising round here doing their own thing ... why would I want to buy one? It's not like I need more ... heck the ones that are here eat my chooks & I'm petrified one will eat my lil' dog.
And as for scary snakes ... well this place is crawling with them! I have the biggest black snakes I have ever seen here ... plus death adders & copperheads. Enough snakes already!
Geez Louise ... ;)

If your boyfriend is going to pick up random snakes, not knowing what type they are.. you might want to make sure you have a few bandages around..and learn how to do snakebite first aid ;)

hahaha whos that , i live in mullaway and have lived here since i was born most people dont know it and just drive past the turn off hence why i just say coffs ( oh and you can pm the name if youd prefer just click on my username and you will see the icon :)
Um .. that was a bit dumb wasn't it? :oops: Woops. Gorgeous spot though. And Tuppy & Jess love the beach there too :)

Update: My greatest concern with snakes is not myself - it's Tuppy & Jess. Especially Tuppence, who is only 3.5 kg. I live an hour from town & I've always worried that if she was bitten she wouldn't even make it to the vet to get treatment. This afternoon our neighbour came over looking for some cattle he lost in the flood & I blabbed the story about idiot & the RSS. He told me our neighbour on the other side has had 5 tiger snakes at his house in the past month. (He didn't know if they were RSS or ordinary tigers) One of his foxie dogs was bitten & he died 15 minutes after the bite :( They had a little ***** that was sister to the one they just lost & they lost her to a black snake when she was a pup 3 years ago. She was at the vet for a while but they lost her anyway & only got the big bill to take home :(
We got to discussing snakes generally & he told me he & his Dad had been chased for about 10 meters by a tiger snake. So there's another one to add to the "fores" for snakes chasing humans :) He also told me that he picked up a large slab of bark the other day (a big slab that was peeled off a tree when they were sawing it up for timber) & under the same piece were a carpet snake, a black snake & brown snake. Is it ususal that they happily co-habit?

Sorry, my bad, thought you wanted one :)

Oh OK ... now I see what you're referring to :)
That was a JOKE! :lol:
I really can't see me cuddled up with a snake - as much as I do think some of them are stunning. I mean what do you DO with them? Other than look at them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, my bad, thought you wanted one :)
You've jinxed me!
First I'm reading threads, then I'm looking at pictures ... & then I went to the "For Sale" section! (before I read that was how to get rid of husband type people ;) )

Ooh, sounds promising, come over to the dark side, you know you want to!! :D
Is there a "Snakes For Dummies" section here? I didn't think there was a critter on the planet I knew nothing about ... but apparently I know nothing abut snakes.
It's not the "dark side" I have happening here - it's a total blackout! :) I'm completely in the dark about these babies. Are any of them nice to you? Do they actually like to be handled or do they just tolerate it?

The common beleif is that they just tolerate it but there are some snakes out there that seem to really enjoy it, One of my Bredli can't wait to get back into her enclosure while my other one puts up a bigger fight to stay out everytime i get her out. The Murray Darling I have you have to fight her to the last inch of her tail to get her out of her enclosure but then is quite happy to stay out for sometimes even upto an hour, when it is time to go back into her enclosure She heads for it and slowly lets herself in with no dramas.

The common beleif is that they just tolerate it but there are some snakes out there that seem to really enjoy it, One of my Bredli can't wait to get back into her enclosure while my other one puts up a bigger fight to stay out everytime i get her out. The Murray Darling I have you have to fight her to the last inch of her tail to get her out of her enclosure but then is quite happy to stay out for sometimes even upto an hour, when it is time to go back into her enclosure She heads for it and slowly lets herself in with no dramas.
So you feel it's all about leaving/returning to their enclosure rather than wanting to be in contact with you? Do you think any snakes actually enjoy being handled by humans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back