Sexing Eastern Water Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waterdragon

Reaction score
hi, i currently have 5 EWD's and they all have a bit of red on them, either on their chest or stomach, can anyone help. cheers, keith.

Will need pics, females can have some red/orange on their chest especially when their young so this doesnt say much. Males have much larger and broader heads when they mature.

Chest and head. How old are they? If they are too young its hard to say. I have bought several young "95% males" from breeders who ended up laying eggs on me in later years.

I read an article by Gavin Bedford where he sexed hatchling frillies by popping the hemipenes under a microscope so you may find a vet or someone to sex them for you using the same method. I am assuming that these are the same lizards shown in your cage thread? Like JunglePython2 I have also bought a guaranteed male that eventually laid eggs. I think you might just have to wait a year mate. And remember that when they are sexually mature you probably wont eb able to keep two males together unless you dont have females.

Males have a larger more pronunced crest but at 1yo its still mainly guesswork. If they don't have any red on them then they are prob females. If they do have red they may be males but as said previously they may still be female.

the males crest is raised higher than the female and the spikes tened to be bigger in males as well i tryed to take pic but it is just to akwared and the lizards are to fast but i will keep trying

Well that one in your avatar is a good example of a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back