Shedding???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanoCFE

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I believe my boy is about to shed, he has faded in colour and is rubbing his nose along the glass enclosure, is this a good sign?

Thanks

What sort of snake is it? His eyes will go milky for about a week, give or take, then clear up and he should shed roughly a week after that. Faded colour is an indicator that hes getting close. As far as rubbing his nose on the glass, I don't think it would have anything to do with shedding, unless he doesn't have anything in his enclosure to rub on, like branches or rocks etc. something a bit rough.

Definitely sounds like a shed. Once the scales start returning to a normal color, the snake will begin rubbing its head against objects to start the initial shed in a few days. During the shed phase, be sure to keep appropriate humidity levels up ( according to species) and leave the snake alone, for its scales are delicate and they feel vulnerable. Once shed is complete, check for eye caps and whether the snake had a complete shed.

It will probably be a little cranky for maybe a day after the shed. Some are ok but they usually dont like being bothered straight after a shed.

Enjoy. Its cool to see them shedding their skin for the first time.

Aaron.

Mine has gone milky all over and took a couple of days to go from me noticing a little haziness to really milky all over. How long does it take from that stage to shed?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cool, he is a diamond python, he has some dry spots on him, did not see his eyes go milky, and he has plenty of stuff in his enclosure to rub on!
Thanks guys will keep an eye on him!

Regarding the "dry spots" - maybe you should give his enclosure a few sprays with the spray bottle to up the humidity for a few days pre-shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back