Should Queensland go for Daylight Savings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Queensland adopt Daylight Savings

• Queensland should adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Queensland should NOT adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 69 53.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you noticed the spooky correlation between areas of Australia with daylight savings time and the lack of Cane Toads? It's not coincidence, you know? Any state with a large area of toad invasion or the potential to be taken over by toads has a lack of daylight savings!

Maybe daylight savings confuses the toads, which kills them!

Jokes aside, it's actually not coincidental - look at the map, there's a pretty strong correlation between herp populations and daylight savings, not to mention an extremely strong correlation between IQ, standard of living and daylight savings. No coincidence about any of that. Not all of that is cause and affect of course, but some is.

So you have wild populations of rough scaled pythons, green tree pythons, inland taipans.... Yeah, I recall all of those in NSW... I recall wandering down to a beach without a 'ACHTUNG - CROCODILE' warning when I was in NSW - because NO CROCS live there...

Don't get me started on the FNQ non reptilians...

FNQ, NT, and WA have a far more diverse amount of wildlife due to the less populated areas - therefore it makes far more sense to see the diversity in the tropics that does not occurr in the sub or temperate regions - hence why Qld, NT and WA will always be the better states and territories...

Hmmmm - if it wasn't for Darwin (coastals) no one would love them!

So what you're saying is - where DST does not exist larger; more diverse populations of herps exist - including toads.

That where DST exist there is also a strong correlation that IQ is lower.

Standard of living may be cheaper, but it is not lower (except maybe NT - but that's a lifestyle thing) in non-DST zones.

I was talking about the global trend, although overall it does work within Australia too.

I think you're confusing negative and positive correlations or something. Both are correlations. Globally and within Australia, places with DST have less reptiles - it's not coincidental, but it's not a cause-effect relationship.

If you're still not sure what I'm getting at, DST isn't used much in equatorial areas (which are also tropical/warmer and have more reptile life, and can support Cane Toads), because there isn't much seasonal difference in day length. The closer you are to the poles the greater the variation and the greater the benefit from DST. It's crazy not to have DST in Brisbane, but wouldn't be a great idea in FNQLD.

For whatever reasons (I won't get into it), standard of living, IQ and westernisation are all greatest in populations between the equator and the poles (not that many people live near the poles). It's not necessarily to say that there is a cause-effect relationship between IQ and DST, but the correlation is there and it's not by chance.

Anyway, more "Oh my god the paint will fade, I'll get tired and the chickens will be confused" and less rational discussion. It's much more fun that way! :)

Oh - I understood you... there was no worries about that....

But I'll stand by my 'less nocturnal creature viewing' because of daylight savings - I think that should be the clincher for anyone voting now :)

But I'll stand by my 'less nocturnal creature viewing' because of daylight savings - I think that should be the clincher for anyone voting now :)

Yeah, I must admit, avoiding daylight savings does bring herping into a more work-friendly time zone for those having to get up the next morning. I'm not sure if that benefit to 0.0001% of the population outweights the economic, environmental and social benefits to the majority of the population, but it's very difficult for me to argue against you! ;)

you make valid points, and i have never faulted your logic mate. but even on this matter i am disagreeing with your oppinion.
I will now assume a defensive position for the incoming onslaught of FNQ arguments :x ;)

I will most likely be moving back up to FNQ at some point next year.. dont want to go back to townseville... anyone know of anywhere remote that is in close proximity to a hospital or somewhere else hiring div1 nurses. (40 mins -1hour drive)

Don't be so stupid The Devil - that's just ludicrous....

Everyone knows we've had more than enough rain to support the extra hour of sunlight... Hell there was even floods in Brisbane this year!

That was just a silly comment.... But never the less - a smart one :)

Yes, we have had lots of rain down here and the dam levels are around 98% so I guess they could support the extra hour of sun for a summer or 2.

you make valid points, and i have never faulted your logic mate. but even on this matter i am disagreeing with your oppinion.
I will now assume a defensive position for the incoming onslaught of FNQ arguments :x ;)

I will most likely be moving back up to FNQ at some point next year.. dont want to go back to townseville... anyone know of anywhere remote that is in close proximity to a hospital or somewhere else hiring div1 nurses. (40 mins -1hour drive)

Nah brother - I won't argue with you - it's your opinion - and just like belly buttons, we all have one!

However - my opinion stands firm on anti DST - especially for the FNQ - as the closer to the equator sunshine hours experience is adequate enough :)

But your opinion is something you're entitled to....

Just in this case you're blatantly WRONG :lol:

As for FNQ - remote - try Hopevale - it's a 'community' it's about 40 minutes from Cooktown it's absolutely stunning scenery - and it's DST free.... Plus there's a real chance of snake bite victims!

What about Weipa?

They're all classed as remote (I believe) - in the eyes of the Tax Man anyway.

Good luck with that - when you come via Cairns - drop us a line we'll meet at a sociable, non-DST hour and perhaps share a cool and crispy beverage in the tropics - then I can tell you to your face that you're wrong :)

Yes, we have had lots of rain down here and the dam levels are around 98% so I guess they could support the extra hour of sun for a summer or 2.

I'm just checking, because now you have me worried... but you do know that there is not actually an extra hour of sunlight don't you? I'm sorry I had to ask that question, but either your sarcasm is imperveous to my BSometer... or I just found my next client ;)

Slimy, I have considered weipa, but housing is BLOODY expensive. remember, although i look like that rich fella chopper, I am infact a nurse. those desperately underpayed understaffed hardworking public servants who keep the population of the country alive.
I hope I can find you for that drink in the dark streets of cairns at 7pm... if only there was one more hour of sunlight I might be able to find my way ;)
I'll have a look at hopevale mate, thanks for the heads up. look forward to seeing you (if its not too dark)

I'm just checking, because now you have me worried... but you do know that there is not actually an extra hour of sunlight don't you? I'm sorry I had to ask that question, but either your sarcasm is imperveous to my BSometer... or I just found my next client ;)

You're kidding, fair dinkum, we don't actually get an extra hour of sunlight!!!!!!!!
Well stone the crows, if that's true why is it called daylight saving???????

I don't get it, about half the state are screaming for summer time and the other half are chanting the new religion, global warming......Now don't they go hand in hand, maybe if there wasn't such a thing as daylight saving global warming would disappear..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back