Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looks great but can i ask is the heatcord sandwiched between two layers of perspex? obviously heat comes from top and bottom yea? approx what did materials cost? looks like a great alternative and also wouldnt be anywhere near as heavy as melamine. also how have you connected bottom horizontal box section to the vertical pieces?

here are some pics of a rack i built for my mate (jairusthevirus) on this forum.
turned out ok. tubs are from ikea. got perspex cut to size for the lid/heat cord shelf. went got some aluminum from a supplier and mate two mirror imaged frames. a bit tedious getting the gaps just right but it works well.
Just pop riveted c channel to some uprights then double sided taped the perspex in place. 2 50w heat cords weaved under 1 side of the box.
only good for the womas and bhp's but never the less. just means we had to buy more snakes to fill it. enjoy
View attachment 276598View attachment 276599View attachment 276600

cheers mate. the heat cord just sits ontop of the perspex and is tape down using good quality cloth tape. it is super light compared to melamine and my plan was to attach wheels to it to make it easy to move around. will do it one day.lol.
the uprights are welded to the bottom pieces. i really wanted to fix it any other way but there was no simple, neat, cost effective way but luckily my mate is a boiler maker so he zapped them together.
as for cost it was a bit of a kick in the balls. total cost was 7-800 bucks and that was everything at trade price as im a chippy by trade so got some connections. this didn't include the two 50w heat cords, thermostat, cost to weld as that was free or the 10+ hours of my time to build it.
so the cost is well over 1000 bucks
i really like the design as its different and have had no ill effects from housing snakes. (up and running for over 6 months now)
we actually put a problem feeder in it and she came good .
if i were to do it again i wouldnt to be honest. ive been looking at vision racks and a v-70 houses 2 more tubs/snakes, holds the heat better, has wheels and is only a couple hundred more.
maybe when the price of perspex comes down (spent 400 alone on that) and aluminium (350 on that) it will be worth it.
cheers eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back