Show us your jungle enclosures- please!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi! i am trying to get inspiration for my jungle enclosure. At this point she is in an old cupboard that has 2 glass doors on the front, She has a hide and branch and all the other necessities but i want to make her enclosure exciting for her! I cant post pics yet because I still havent picked her up (hopefully next week. The enclosure is approx 3ft Long x 3ft high (maybe 3.5) x at least 1ft deep. Any ideas hints and pics would be much appreciated!

~Sarah~

Hey, chec out the DIY section, heaps of good stuff. Im currently building a large enclosure for a jungle out of a wardrobe. Ive reinforced it, taken the doors off and cut the top shelf to make a few kind of platforms. Just started painting it with a water based textured paint I bought at bunnings, I got them to make it green. Ill post some pics when the glass is on and its all set up, its only cost me about 200ish so far.

At the very least I would also make sure the wood is sealed, ie Laquer or something of the like to stop it swelling with moisture and absorbing pee pee smells etc.

61515_1616275411435_1372838343_31644779_7647441_n.jpg

photo.php
155290_1744114807340_1372838343_31895983_4250688_n.jpg

162815_1779794979322_1372838343_31964783_4311681_n.jpg

the enclosure itself is already pretty much set up, it just need some decorations. I have been reading the diy section- OMG there is some truly clever people out there, i don't think i am one of them!!! lol. As this is my first snake i am just not sure what sort of habitat jungles prefer/need, that's why i wanted to see some pics. cant wait to see what you have done with yours twitch!

Last edited:
You can get fancy and decorative or just be practical.

Thick rope makes perfect vines.

The Brazilian Vine I have in my Jungle tank is quite expensive, lucky for me it came with the tank cheap.

The background is one that fell off my old fishtank.

The fake grass was scored for me by one of our other drivers at work who picks up from Synthetic grass factory.

Id lean toward lots of dangly plats like the Fake Ficus plants I have in my pics there.

A few good climbing branches and maybe 1 or 2 platforms they can bask upon.

The rest becomes pretty much cosmetic and thats where you can really get arty and creative.

Tip:

Fishtank plants hung upside down can look just as good (and cost half as much) as purpose made "Reptile enclosure" plants.

At the very least I would also make sure the wood is sealed, ie Laquer or something of the like to stop it swelling with moisture and absorbing pee pee smells etc.

61515_1616275411435_1372838343_31644779_7647441_n.jpg

photo.php
155290_1744114807340_1372838343_31895983_4250688_n.jpg

162815_1779794979322_1372838343_31964783_4311681_n.jpg

beautiful jake_the_snake! her enclosure just looks so bare atm!

what subtrate are you using? it looks really pretty (I know that's not the point of subtrate, but hey...)!

i am pretty sure the enclosure is all lacquered already, her previous owner has had her in it for nearly a year now he said. if it inst, what do you suggest i do or dont use? is there anything that can be dangerous to the snake? obviously i wouldn't be putting her straight back in there if this is the case.

Y
Thick rope makes perfect vines.

Tip:

Fishtank plants hung upside down can look just as good (and cost half as much) as purpose made "Reptile enclosure" plants.

great idea!!! hubby delivers skip bins, and often picks up rope from a boat place! its heaps thick.

I was just looking at the price of plants etc, your tip makes alot of sense after seeing the prices!

As for Laquer id suggest getting one thats non toxic.

Tell the person where you buy it its for Painting Kids toys.

The substrate I use is known as Kitty Crumble.

Its Cat litter that is made out of Organic material.

To me it looks like Coconut Husk

Its moist at 1st but once it warms up and dries it helps hold warmth.

ahhhh so thats what it looks like! i have heard heaps of people talk about it! It does look like coconut husks. What are your branches made of? i saw posts on here of some people doing something similar with heated pvc pipe?

Ill try and take a few tomorrow. The textured paint is awesome, its water based and has kind of sand in it, they can make it any colour you want just ask the paint desk and it looks great, I was talking to a guy on her from QLD I think who told me about it, he has done some great enclosure's. Im going to put marine carpet on the bottom and have a spare cut to size for easy cleaning. Heading to the beach to find some driftwood. I like the idea of fish tank plants as we have 6 or 7 tanks so a pretty good relationship with the aquarium lol. Im also going to wire some halogen down lights with coloured globes or small led downlights for day light (look great, really easy to install and wire up and quite cheap as well as use bugger all electricity) and im considering some really dim blue led's along the sides for night but still doing some research about that one. Still in beginning stages but ill post as i go.

Good luck. :)

The Branches were in the cage when I got it from my mate dirt cheap.

He said they were some sort of Brazilian Vine.

I have seen similar at Petcare 2000 and whew its expensive.

I might be a bit off on my quote but its around 50 or 60 bucks for a piece about 4 ft long I think, I could be wrong.

My advice if you get any wood from outdoors is soak in Hot Hot water and then let it dry and then Freeze for at least 24 to 48 hours to kill of any germs that might be in it.

hibern8

Its one of them silicone rubber backgrounds you get at Aquarium shop.

They are not cheap but I already had this one falling off of my old aquarium.

Just make sure the edges are well sealed so your snake cant get in behind it.

I used nearly a Full tube of Selleys Liquid Nails sealing up all the edges on that then had phone books and dumbells sitting on it for about 3 days to make sure it stuck down

Twitch I have been told she is bred from Kraus stock.

Bred Kraus and I think, oh man the other name escapes me...........

Steve something I think it was..........

Steve Sharp??????

Does that ring a bell

Or is it Steve Kraus and then somebody else with the name Sharp....

Im waffling

Thanks for the compliment

hmmm looks good. heres mine im building atm for a jungle. gotta deck it out yet.

Jake- looking at everyone elses enclosures, mine seems to be too big? she looks quite comfortable in there though.

You have an Atherton Jungle on your hands.

She will be needing that enclosure soon enough.

Snakes will feel intimidated if the enclosure is TOO big but if she seems happy and not worried id stick with it, provided its what you are happy with and you like the look of it.

Hibern8

Melamine is always good to work with and that enclosure looks pretty good.

I see your locale says Lidcombe there Hibern8

You can score some or that Background stuff down at the Big Aquarium shop in the old Joyce Mayne complex there on Parramatta Rd opposite the Auburn Maccas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back