Show us your Marbled Velvet Geckos!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Well I've been looking around in the other threads, and I can't find any other threads on it.
So, as the title says.... Show us your Marbled Velvet Geckos & their enclosures! :D
I know ya out there!
And can you tell us what's in the set up and what you use for heating too... thanks
I'm looking at aquiring one of these cuties, and thought I'd read up before I do :)

Thanks

There is a great gecko site geckos unlimited, people from here post there too.

Bump anyone.... there's a few people on.... is there anyone on atm that owns any?

Heres my pair, dont have a recent photo of their enclosure since i have changed it. Keep them in a 30x30x30 exo terra. got a heat mat for one whole side of the enclosure and another heat mat under 1/3 of the bottom. hot side up to 36 and cool side down to about 22-24 at the moment.

They look good.... I love the colours! Makes me want one more!
Thanks for sharing :D

Heres an old pic of their enclosure, Castlenaui on the left and Marmorata on the left. This was a mid winter pic hence the lack of geckos and have slightly revamped their enclosures since then

They look like a simple reptile to keep.... What do they eat? Crickets? Do they eat veggies.?
Do you mist the enclosures at all.? They are climbing geckos right..?
Sorry about all the questions, I just want to be a good keeper :oops:

They look like a simple reptile to keep.... What do they eat? Crickets? Do they eat veggies.?

Most herps are simple if they are supplied with the right amount of heat and food. Oeduras arn't for everyone, you don't see them much, arn't for handling, and need good heating.

Oedura marmorata are easy to keep. Ideal beginner species. They vary greatly in size, colour and pattern over their range so in captivity, you can keep them from different localities across Australia. Animals from the top end in the NT known as 'fat-tailed marms' tend to be favourite amongst breeders.

I keep animals originating from coastal WA and I will post photos for you later. The WA form marms grow very large and are quite spectacular, reaching 160-180mm total length in 2-3 years.

You shouldn't have too much trouble picking them up, hatchlings tend to be between $100-$250ea depending on locality.

Most herps are simple if they are supplied with the right amount of heat and food. Oeduras arn't for everyone, you don't see them much, arn't for handling, and need good heating.

Yeah I know most are simple to keep.
I know you can't handle them as much as anything else.... I've always wanted a gecko and they seem like a good one! I will have everything set up correctly before I get them!
Does anyone know what they eat.?

Ok awesome! Thanks guy for your help so far..... love to see some more varieties and enclosures!
Thanks again guys!

Thanks JasonL
What sand do you use? How deep does it have to be.? Do they like digging?

Bag of washed sand from Bunnings is the simple method however some people use a mix of peat and sand. Crickets are their staple diet with the odd mealworm. Mine dont dig in the sand, excpet for my Tryoni most of the Oeduras are not diggers

Insects.... though mainly crickets and moths...most Oedura don't like woodies

I agree but marmorata seem to be an exception. I know a very sucessful breeder who uses only woodies.

Ok cool.... I'll have a look for that.... thanks for your help everyone.
How many crickets does one eat daily?

Marms

Currently have marms from WA, Longreach and southern QLD.
Longreach trio are kept in a three foot tank on washed sand.
WA's and southerns are kept on sand in 450mm exoterras.

Cheers Scott.

Attachments

• marmcrop.jpg
    marmcrop.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Troywebbbred2.jpg
    Troywebbbred2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 65
  • croprobporter.jpg
    croprobporter.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 55
Status