Show us your outdoor aviarys/enclosures, snakes or lizards....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBrad

Reaction score
Hey boys and girls , I'm keen to set up an aviary for my male adult coastal I'm going to set up an aviary during winter and introduce him to it in spring not sure if I'm going to build or buy an aviary to set up but something around 2mtr wide x 1.5mtr deep x 2mtr high. Future plans also include another aviary set up with ewd's , beardeds, blue tongues...etc.... So wanna see heaps of pics and ideas , and your do's and dont's for these outdoor setups ... Cheers BigBrad...

Ditto,i am also interested in pics as i had originally planned a small hanging one outside,but seeing a couple big aviaries i am most interested in how these go.

here's mine I use for my carpets and tree snakes.
DSCF2167.jpg

DSCF2163.jpg

DSCF2166.jpg

one for blue tongues
DSCF1911.jpg

Last edited:
search on ebay for 'chicken coops' you can buy some good ones for a decent price and they can easily be used for snakes, reptiles, etc

im getting one next month so i can eventually put my dragons in

the one im looking at it you can stand upright in it, it has a nesting box which im going to be moving to ground level for them to get into, has heavy duty wire and it all comes in a flat pack and they claim it will only take about 25 hours to put it together

Nice set up Jason.s. Thanx for the mail jeannine . Keep them coming boys and girls...

Cheers mate i've started building a large monitor cage 3m x 3m when i get a chance i will put some photos up.

I built this one a few years ago (since moved and sold). It measured 2m x 2m x 1m. I used coreflute back and side (and roof) and quebloc (from Ulrich) for the frame. Marine carpet floor.

If, like me, you lived in the tropics, and say once every couple of years there's a tropical cyclone - this type of enclosure is a PRIZE PAIN! Firstly, moving it is impossible, make your enclosure so it could fit through a sliding door frame.... It just makes sense (now). Secondly - the coreflute acts as a great sail - it's best to keep it in a sheltered spot (obviously). But even in a sheltered spot, you'll still want bricks or something to prevent moving.

I'm not a builder by any means - this was just a fun hobby to build that's all... Wished I was better at it!

7178586880_fff0396b34_c.jpg

7178581160_0d451f7810_c.jpg

Here's a portion of my outdoor enclosure, it goes partially under the deck as well.

79def985-b1b5-b99f.jpg

Outdoor snake house

I have one for the rats that would suit you . It came from Bunnings as a chook house for less than $200 . Approx 5ft h x 5ft w x 3ft deep .

That's great MathewB, come on guys there's got to be plenty more out there!

Here is mine for my Diamond before the deco's will post more pics when finished.

Attachments

• Deedee sun baking4.jpg
    Deedee sun baking4.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Deedee sun baking3.jpg
    Deedee sun baking3.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 351
these all look great, how do people heat these? in the colder months or do you take your animals inside??

these all look great, how do people heat these? in the colder months or do you take your animals inside??

I was in Cairns - so heating wasn't an issue - however, I had built a thermostat controlled heat cord into the base of the enclosure (there's a thread on which shows how that is done) - however, I wasted my time, I never used it!

My Diamond has a heated basking shelf with a wooden hide on it, she spends the cold nights in this hide comming out to bask in the morning sun before retiring in to another hide just above ground level at about 11 am before heading out for an evening slither at about 5pm and back to the heated shelf an associated hide. The sun does the rest of the heating for the enclosure as she has branches and things at different levels throughout, she just hangs out wherever she feels like.

When I had a bird aviary years ago (not for snakes, but birds), I painted the mesh black. Makes it almost invisible.

I don't like keeping carpet pythons in aviaries i am a big fan of reptile cages for reptiles aviaries for birds.
Reptiles can be fine in an aviary for a long time and then one day you get home and a cat or dog has spooked them and all of a sudden you have a beautiful big snake/lizard with no face. They don't seem to fully grasp the concept of chicken wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back