Show us your RATLETS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to post a new one instead of editing the other one. I just went out and took some pics.... they were all asleep :rolleyes: so I just took a few without disturbing them all too much:)

The fawn/red rex Isobel
Rittens 060512 063.jpg
Isobel again
Rittens 060512 065.jpg
and again
Rittens 060512 066.jpg

Notice the blue baby on top, that is one of the blue rex babies. See the ripply fur?
Rittens 060512 004.jpg
About half of the 10 blue babies have ripply fur, 4 are smooth & one is hooded
Rittens 060512 043.jpg
This is 3 of the blue babies, one hooded, one with long wavy fur and one with smooth fur. When the babies were just fuzzies, the ones with ripply fur looked 'frosty'? Different fur all together than the smooth ones?
Rittens 060512 026.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pics, camera is rubbish.... and the 'models' wont stand still

Last edited:
I wonder if they taste different with each variation

I would provide the rats if you wanted to try some? HAha ;)

Lovely Liam! I did put up a picture of some single rexes (the mink variegated wedge blaze that has a photo of it with it's sibling, then the older pic of it underneath. Single rex's look 'crimped' as babies and then just messy as adults. The double rexes are the ones that look curly although there are 'good' and 'bad' ones. My mink one would be a crap single rex :) Joe might put up a pic of his older double rexes. I only have wiggly baby pics.

They are very cute Captainratbag :) (None of those babies are blue though).
Notice the blue baby on top, that is one of the blue rex babies. See the ripply fur?
View attachment 250831
About half of the 10 blue babies have ripply fur, 4 are smooth & one is hooded
View attachment 250832

These are blue babies (amongst some chocolate and choc champagne). Yours are definately mink. This photo accurately shows the blue colour:
Screenshot2012-05-06at102527PM.png

Blue
Screenshot2012-01-27at72010AM.png

Mink (going through a moult with temporary moult cap
0e83d916.jpg

Last edited:
So, Ingie, the ripply ones are mink? What colour would you say the ones I was calling blue are? Gray?

Pretty sure Ingie or someone else posted a photo of a rat with enlarged ears in another thread?

Vamp, my original avtar was a pic of a rat I found kinda cute, turned out to be a dumbo. I pinched it off someone on gumtree (who evidently kicked up a stink with people thinking they had dumbo rats)

So, I promptly learned not to plagerise other peoples pics :oops: and took a pic of one of my own rats instead :lol: The ad is still on gumtree with the pic, someone else near me. Landsborough, qld. It is on gumtree, sunshine coast area, other pets or reptile section.

As far as I know, there are no dumbo rats in australia. Pity :( someone should go to the states and bring over some in thier luggage :shock: if they get busted just say "crikey, how did that giant mouse get in there?" hehehehe

Last edited:
The ones you were calling blue are mink :) The ripply ones are rex or double rex.

can some people show us your rat set ups, i have my pair "nigel and pam" in an old beardie tank but they trash it daily but i feel bad putting them outside. ive grown attached to these stupid rats.. lol so dam cute.

can some people show us your rat set ups, i have my pair "nigel and pam" in an old beardie tank but they trash it daily but i feel bad putting them outside. ive grown attached to these stupid rats.. lol so dam cute.
I have a classic rat rack set up I can post a photo tonight it's made out of cement tubs

Can anyone help me out. One of the babies embolcal cords hasn't been chewed down all the way it has about 1cm still sticking out. Will it just fall off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha! Yeah it will be fine so long as the placenta is off. I had a mum once who left them all on and I found the little bubbas all tied together :/ Felt weird pinching them all off. Not as weird as when I had to do the same for a cat though. Placentas are gross!

This is my rat area:
IMG_4048.jpg

This long thing is where I put all the weaner females until I want to breed them. To make it to the next step they need to stay healthy in here and be friendly. Any poor health, slow growth, biting or skittish behaviour gets them culled:
IMG_4053.jpg

A typical big tub will contain one sexy stud male and a bunch of females (One 'project' per tub):
IMG_4047.jpg

When they become noticeably pregnant they get moved to the rack in a labelled tub till their babies are 3 weeks old. The rack holds 36 tubs. Then I choose if I want to put them back into the projects or cull them off. If they have sickly litters, bite me while with babies, get sick or anything else that I don't like, they and all their babies get culled.

There is a giant tub just for males because I like to see how my stud males from different projects age over time and if they stay healthy. I need to be able to have back up 'genes' for all the different projects too so I have quite a number of extra males on standby. I test them by adding new baby males all the time, and by putting them in with mum's and pinkies that aren't theirs to see if they have any agression. As well as food I am breeding for long lived pets that don't fight, bite, and are genetically friendly, so I have to watch out for extra things. If any start causing trouble or don't pass the tests, they get culled.

I like all my rats to have a lot of space to live and things to chew when they aren't raising babies. They are still a living creature after all, even if 90% of them still end up as reptile food.

Last edited:
Love watching all the rats pics....thanks guys for sharing.

Hehe thanks :) My rats are still far from perfect in regards to health and temperament though. Because I keep bringing in new projects it takes a long time to improve those traits. Gotta start somewhere though! :)

These rats are awesome guys :D I had no idea there were so many colour and fur variations. We have just started breeding Guinea Pigs, rats might become a project too(I have no life ha ha ha ha)

I'm hoping to produce pure black ratties, I have 3rd generation blacks, some have no white paws and only a sprinkle of white hairs on the chest.
I llike the little guys
Cheers
Sandee :)

They are called selfs Sandee :) Where they are one solid colour with no white. If you breed two together with white on the chest and feet (berkshires) you should statistically get 25% selfs(HH) 50% berkshires(Hh) and 25% hoods(hh).

562483_433952766633820_100000573021440_90172377_602821089_n.jpg

303489_434010016628095_100000573021440_90172580_1570240462_n.jpg

these were from yesterday you can start to see there marking now.
any selfs in there i know there is a few hoodeds :D

There won't be any selfs in there because one parent was a hood. A hood x berk makes half hood half berk, and a hood x self makes all berks. You have a bunch of cute little hoods and berks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back