sick

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmdog

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all
In recent days I have been a little worried about my 4ft Darwin who has been very withdrawn from his usual manners, I first put this down to the changing of seasons, also thought that he was close to a shed but now doubt that, he last ate a medium rat 29th April and is yet to defecate to any extent, although he has a large bulge at the tail. I haven't handled him for this period of time cause I'd thought that he was sloughing and noticed that thier is the slightest whistle when he breaths. I will be taking him to the Vets hopefully this week if I can get him in

As I have new hatchling coming this week would it be woth my while to put the hatchy in different room from where thier going to be housed.

sounds like constapation maybe with the bulge near the vent mate not sure on the whistle from the nose. what temps you got going on and are you cooling or not?

no tempereature is around 24c at cool end and up around 27 29 under heat which is where he was laying when I got home this arvo he normal is curled up in his hide so I found this quite strangly and the way he is laying has me concerned

if he's about to slough he's just holding on. Once he sloughs he should go to the toilet at the same time. Not that I'm an expert but my coastal held on when he was approaching a shed and I have heard this is common.

The only time i've had an impacted animal i gave it a luke warm bath / swim for 30 odd minutes. Didn't work in my case and it needed surgery, but it had been impacted for some time, where if yours is ( doubtful ) it hasnt been there for too long.

yeah I'm half expecting a shed with a present, hoping that this will happen otherwise He is going on the lawn tomorrow for a stroll and a luke warm bath

if he's about to slough he's just holding on. Once he sloughs he should go to the toilet at the same time. Not that I'm an expert but my coastal held on when he was approaching a shed and I have heard this is common.

Hopefully this is the reason. Mine do it from time to time. Goodluck :)

so he doesn't normally lay stretched out like that farmy? just the way his body looks a little kinked kinda looks a bit similar to the way my sick coastal lays :?. have you offered since his last feed on 29th april? as in has he refused a feed or just not been offered since then?

My Bredli has been like this for quite a while now. She doesnt go to the toilet regulary. I am feeding her twice b4 she goes normally about 10 days apart between feeds and then i take her out onto the lawn. She always has impacted faeces and she gets a massage of the impactions and i move them around and generally the next day after some more massaging she goes on the lawn. Our vet believed that this could have originated form a infection early on and her system hasnt got back to normal yet. He suggested to keep feeding regularly and keep with the massaging etc and she will get back to normal. None of this has affetcted her behaviour at all though.

Cheers
Chris Gray

arboreal species should always have at least one branch to climb on
this will allow the snake to tighten its self around the branch and will greatly help the snake with passing waste. have you ever thought why
pythons crap after being held for a few minutes, stimulation off being
held is the same as climbing and wrapping aroung branches :D

what about the 'wistle sound'? It could be a cold helping to upset the shedding process ect...Listen to the breathing especially after exercising on the back lawn. If so keep the temp up.
I would be interested to hear what the vet says.

woohoo he shed and took a crap, although it was a real bad shed as it didn't come off in one piece, thier a a few peices that are still attached Should I pull them off as he has been getting most of it off, and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back