SIGHTING A LICENCE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spooky

Reaction score
Just a question, we have had all the different scenarios about the fors and against sighting someones licence.
As Menagerie said that when she spoke to NPWS it is basically your fault if you don't get the right info. So my question is how do you know that their licence (that they choose to write down on a piece of paper) isn't expired?
What are the consequences for you if that licence has expired?

Simple, don't sell them anything unless they show you a valid licence. It will be your fault if you go on their word. JMO :)

Hi Fay!

After my recent nasty experience, sight it!!! I can't afford to have black marks on my record - I'm supposed to be encouraging people to be law abiding! :lol:

If that means you don't get the animal, it may be better to keep your money - or risk confiscation otherwise (from what I have been told calling NPWS).

What I can't understand is that even people on this sight say that they either ring it through or write it on a piece of paper and won't show it.. How many people don't go through with the sale or purchase?
Why can't NPWS print a licence without the address if it is such a problem with people showing their address ('cause that is basically the problem)?

It would be a nice idea. Or people could just COVER their address details with liquid paper if they want to be a little innovative :lol:

I am purchasing some accies, and it's interstate so the guy emailed his details, this time I got confirmation from NPWS BEFORE the sale was finalised.

there are a few grey areas in terms of licensing

i rkn the best way to do it is to photocopy your licence and blur out the unecessary info on it. like your address and even your name if you feel like it

the only details that should be absolutely necessary to give out are licence number, class and expiry date.

i agree with basket case, thats what i used to do, was copy my licence and then keep that in my wallet, as from what i have been told by NSW NPWS that technically the licence is to be at the nominated premises at all times, therefore it shouldn't be removed for sighting in a transaction. as for it being your (the buyers) responsiblilty for sighting a "valid" licence, sorry but thats just a cop out in my opinion, next the service will want you to check that the other person has met all other licence requirements as well. simply put, its not my problem if the other person is or isn't doing the right thing. if in my honest opion they are above board whilst contucting a transaction then there is nothing more i need or want to know. i like to respect the privacy of others. all you can do is record the details as they are provided to you. even if you "sight" a licence, this doesn't mean it is a real one. with the technology today and the sorts of people that deal in fake id's etc, its not hard to see where i am going with this.
all i can say is, respect and protect privacy, especially your own....
just my 2 cents worth.

basketcase said:
photocopy your licence and blur out the unecessary info on it. like your address and even your name if you feel like it

Then how would I know that the licence is yours, and therefore valid?

:p

Hix

How would you know anyway Hix? unless you ask for ID aswell? :p Like photo Id license etc.

Yeah, but someone who has blurred out their name (when you need that for your records) would make me damned suspicious. They could be showing me anybody's licence.

:p

Hix

instarnett said:
How would you know anyway Hix? unless you ask for ID aswell? :p Like photo Id license etc.

Who really cares? so long as i site a valid licence and number then im all good when it comes to book legality.

Hi,

If you are buying or selling any animal it is YOUR responsability to ensure it is from or going to a legal sourse. The only way to do this is to sight the sellers or buyers licence.

It is also your responsability, as per licence condition to ensure you receive some sought of paperwork(documentation or receipt) to prove who you purchased from.

Failure to do either of the above is a breach of licence conditions and could be subject to a fine if discovered.

For these reasons when I sell I take a of copy of the buyers licence. I now have their name, address, lic number, expiry date, and lic catergory to match the reptile I am selling. I also give the buyer a copy of my licence so they can show who they purchased from plus have my correct details for their records.

If someone comes to my house with just a lic number, I will not sell them any class 2 animals period, nor will I sell them a class 1 animal unless they can show me a current drivers licence which details I record in my fauna book.

I find by swapping lic copies both parties can ensure the details are correct and the lic is current, as well as now having paperwork to show NPWS if requested as to who you bought or sold from. If a person is paranoid about having people knowing where they live, simply white out the street address on a copy of their licence.

i agree whole heartedly bob i wanna see a license when i purchase animals unless they are interstate which i get them to send me a photocopy of it.

Ricko,

No need to see the interstate lic, as NPWS do a check before issuing the import or export permits. They have allready vaidated the details when the permits are issued.

The only problem with interstaters is that you are buying sight unseen, plus you have to trust that they pay or send the animal. This is where you can be ripped off dealing interstate

I take it from this discussion that you don't have to record the name and address of the seller/buyer in your record books.

Here in victoria you have to provide these details in your record book so that the buyer has the seller details and vise versa recorded in their books as displayed on their license.

Privacy issues aside I would not feel comfortable buying reptiles from someone if i could not contact them later.

bigguy said:
Hi,

If you are buying or selling any animal it is YOUR responsability to ensure it is from or going to a legal sourse. The only way to do this is to sight the sellers or buyers licence.

It is also your responsability, as per licence condition to ensure you receive some sought of paperwork(documentation or receipt) to prove who you purchased from.

Failure to do either of the above is a breach of licence conditions and could be subject to a fine if discovered.

For these reasons when I sell I take a of copy of the buyers licence. I now have their name, address, lic number, expiry date, and lic catergory to match the reptile I am selling. I also give the buyer a copy of my licence so they can show who they purchased from plus have my correct details for their records.

If someone comes to my house with just a lic number, I will not sell them any class 2 animals period, nor will I sell them a class 1 animal unless they can show me a current drivers licence which details I record in my fauna book.

I find by swapping lic copies both parties can ensure the details are correct and the lic is current, as well as now having paperwork to show NPWS if requested as to who you bought or sold from. If a person is paranoid about having people knowing where they live, simply white out the street address on a copy of their licence.

Which is part of the reason why Bob is so brilliant to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back