Silkworms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have just fed my Beardies, Frogs and Adult Frill neck silkworms from a can. Does anybody here know where to get live silkworms and the process of breeding them?? They loved them and would eat heaps if I let them!!

They are one of the best all round foods but you'll need a mullberry tree to feed them.

Very easy Adam,

Can't help you get them (some pet stores)

* Only eat mulberry leaves
* As deciduous trees production of silkworms is seasonal.
* Simply feed purchased silkworms daily on fresh mulberry leaves.
* Leaves that are not eaten within 24hrs are discarded to prevent mold growth.
* I place silworms in a plastic box painted with fluon around the top. Within the container i place a self made plastic mesh rack just off the bottom. This helps faeces fall to the ground (much less messy production.
* At pupation stage i build a cardboard rack with 5by3cmby3cm carboard squares. This provides a great pupation site. If you allow to pupate on leaves you have to watch mold growth.
* Adult moths are placed into a cardboard box with lid into the dark. The box is lined with white computer paper completely.
* Moths deposit eggs on paper and these can be cut out.
* Eggs are cut out attatched to paper and placed into snap lock plastic bags and placed into refrigerator for next season.
* When leaves are available again, paper is placed into tubs and kept at about 25degC. Emergence is generally two weeks. The process is then repeated.

* Eggs are generally only good for 1 season in the fridge

GOOD LUCK

I saw silkworms at the petshop last year and quietly asked the girl at the shop 'umm, are they pets or food?' She looked at me horrified and said 'Pets!!'.
I was thinking my central netted might like those ;)

you can only produce one generation per year of silk worms, they need a winder diapause

very healthy aswell, normally only available seasonally

What season are they available in?? My Frill neck loves them and can eat a whole tin of them!!!! My frogs love 'em too.

ones in a tin you can get them all the time but live ones i think its generally only during the summer months

you can normally get them from september to around march, @ my local petshop its $9 fro 10 medium worms, but it you make friends with someone who has a kid in primary school you might be able to get their excess, alot of primary schools still breed them....or u might even be able to buy some eggs cos they normally store them fro the next year.

my dragons LOVE silkworms,..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back