Skid marks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
As per normal, I drive down to Brisvagas to drop off the wife so my ears can get a few days rest and as per normal the phone rings with the now standard "Waa Waa Snake" coming from the other end. I was half was back and it was on the way so I was able to get there in reasonable time. Place looked like a child care centre ( I even asked) though there was only 2 kids and an excitable rat - sorry - dog (it failed the rat test*).
The very nervous lady showed me where the snake was and it wasn't there. The lady, who was already a whiter shade of pale, did something I thought impossible, she turned even whiter.
Not good, snakes are notoriously difficult to locate! But a quick peek over the fence and - a keelback. So a quick hop over the fence, a grab and a shove in the bag and I marked this relocation as successful.
Except...
the grab was a mistake.
The snake musked me and the smell was so bad that even my wife would have accused me of being smelly!

Also I currently have in my possession a carpet python that looks like it has been run over. Fortunately the snake does not appear to have any skeletal damage (otherwise this status would have started "I just killed..."). Only a little guy too, about 1.2 meters. It looks like the tire passed over the animal about 300 cm behind the head. It seems that the driver did not attempt to brake and just run o
ver the snake. I am not going to judge the driver as it is possible, even likely, that the person did not see the snake. The property owners were aghast that they may have hurt the snake, as they knew the snake.
Paradoxically, not braking for a snake is a good thing and may have saved its life. If you don't brake the tire passes over the snake with minimal damage. If you attempt to brake ( as I automatically do) and are unsuccessful - well, um, snake pate.
I have been in contact with Australia Zoo and it will go there tomorrow, possibly via me delivering it.

*If you have to bend over to pat it - its a rat

I ran over a massive BHP near kununarra WA it was in a daewoo matiz the snake survived although it was not happy with me, it was late afternoon and it was crossing the great northern highway right in a long shadow , i am normally very good a spotting and avoiding reptiles on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back