Smallest Breed of Carpet Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythonite

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have done quite a few searches on this site but can't seem to get any real info on the smallest breed of Carpet Pythons.

From what i've read it appears that it is the Murray Carpet that is the smallest. Is this true ?

Also are there any carpets that are mostly ground dwelling ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel

I read in a previous issue of Reptiles Australia (Vol3 Issue 5 of last year) that there is a small carpet python that lives in the same area as the murray darlings. They called it a Pygmy Carpet Python (not to be confused with the pygmy python) that lives in same area as the murrays. I'll quote the paragraph of their mention, from the magazine..

...On Nuyts Archipelago a Pygmy Carpet Python lives on the tiny island of St Francis in the Great Southern Ocean off the coast of Ceduna and they are unbelievably placid - but thats a story for another article

That is all that was mentioned.

murrays

murray darling are the smallest

I read in a previous issue of Reptiles Australia (Vol3 Issue 5 of last year) that there is a small carpet python that lives in the same area as the murray darlings. They called it a Pygmy Carpet Python (not to be confused with the pygmy python) that lives in same area as the murrays. I'll quote the paragraph of their mention, from the magazine..

That is all that was mentioned.

mysnakesau,
The animals mentioned in the article are Morelia spilota imbricata, South Western Carpet Pythons that live on an Island off the West Coast of South Australia. I wouldn't really say that they are found in the same area as Murray Darlings.

The island is called St Francis Island. My understanding is that there is a single adult male of this locality in captivity - even if there are a couple more they are not a python you can acquire.

The smallest "species" of Morelia spilota would be some localities of Jungle Python, with adult reproductive sizes of 1.2 metres.

jungles would be imo, i have breeding adults that are 130cm long and are as big as they'll get

GTP are also small, i think its close between GTP and jungles. Murrays aren't even in the running, they'll get to 7.5-8ft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back