Smooth Knob-Tail Gecko Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hi I would like to expand my collection by getting a smooth knob-tail or 2 I have researched and they are not as different as keeping thick-tailed geckos except they need heating so could anyone answer these questions:

1. How long does the heat pad need to be on would 12 hours do or less.
2. What is their diet
3. Can they live alone.
4. Could you keep them in a cheap plastic tub
5. What is the dimensions of a tank for two or three.
6.can they transport easily.
7. what temp must the heat mat be on.

Could someone please answer these questions please

Thanks.

Hi I would like to expand my collection by getting a smooth knob-tail or 2 I have researched and they are not as different as keeping thick-tailed geckos except they need heating so could anyone answer these questions:

1. How long does the heat pad need to be on would 12 hours do or less.
2. What is their diet
3. Can they live alone.
4. Could you keep them in a cheap plastic tub
5. What is the dimensions of a tank for two or three.
6.can they transport easily.
7. what temp must the heat mat be on.

Could someone please answer these questions please

Thanks.

Clearly you havent research or you would have most of those answers yourself. Temps, hours of heat, size of enclosure, diet an if they can live alone will be in most care sheets.

As for transporting then from one place to another it is pretty much the same as if you were purchasing them. Small container with paper towel/tea towel or a pillow case will surfice.

Rick

Hi I'm back from researching and I can find everything except these two questions:
1.can they live alone?
2. Can I have the heat pad on 24 degrees for 12 hrs a day?

Thanks

Hi I'm back from researching and I can find everything except these two questions:
1.can they live alone?
2. Can I have the heat pad on 24 degrees for 12 hrs a day?

Thanks
Hey mate
1. yes perfectly fine
2. you will need to bump it up to 32 degrees as that's what is usually recommended

good luck, my knob-tails are my fav reps, so awesome to watch hunt and crazy adorable :)

Thanks Treeofgreen but is 12hrs a day a good time to have the heat pad on would it be recommended to have it on at night or some other time.

They are nocturnal so just before sunset I would make sure the heat mat is on as they will be more active and seek heat during this time. During winter times and especially for you because your in a cold climate area I would be leaving the heat mat on 24/7.

Thanks Treeofgreen but is 12hrs a day a good time to have the heat pad on would it be recommended to have it on at night or some other time.

I keep mine on 24/7 (i havent noticed it on my electricity bill TBH). You should also always be providing a gradient. So have your heatmat under like 1/3 of your tank/tub. I keep the sand at the hot end fairly light, maybe about 1cm. This means less work for the heatmat. You need to make sure that on the "cool side" you have deep enough sand for them to burrow. Have your cool side at around 6cm-8cm depth and you need to keep it moist so it holds form when they make tunnels. I spray every second day or so in summer and maybe twice a week in winter (that has been working well for Brissy winter so far neway).

Im not a pro or anything, this is the info that i have learnt and has worked for me.

They are most active at night, when the sun goes down they come out to hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back