snake bedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaper

Reaction score
what do you guys use for snake bedding, looking for something that looks good but is a little cheaper then the aspen bedding,

I like to use aspen, as i have a small collection. Plan on moving to something like un-printed newspaper when i have quite a bigger collection. Although i purchased two 2KG bags of bedding at the expo recently for a nice price. Believe it was a new type of bedding, agrisorb if i'm not mistaken. It has hemp in it i think is the main difference, and will be available in certain pet shops shortly the owner of the table told me.

-Harrison

yeah i saw that but didnt pick any up, my collections is starting to get alot bigger so the aspen stuff is just getting to expensive, where do you get unprinted newspaper from ?

At the moment i don't purchase the unprinted newspaper as my collection is still quite small. But i am sure if you go to some store that has like paper, printers and so on, they may stock it. Other than that i don't know with-out doing a little searching.

Edit: apparently some sort of art shop or moving companies may also stock it.

-Harrison

coir peat from bunnings , normally less than $2 for a block that makes 9 litres , just get the one that has no added fertilisers im pretty sure its the one with the blue packet , the red one has fertilisers also the big block that makes 30 litres or something has fertilisers added

a tip that i got from someone on here is to not use as much water as the packet says ,y you might have to break it up and leave it for a while but it will take for ever to dry with the recommended amount of water

Not the cheapest option, and not sure how it compares to aspen on costs but I'm a big fan of kritters

I think i am using the same bedding as you at the moment, is the make "agrisorb"?
I like it, how-ever had a strong smell, guess it is to over-power any feces/urine smells.

-Harrison

I've used two brands, one from reptile direct and I think it's agrisorb brand from the expo. Yeh it's strong smelling at first but dies down. It's awesome because I find it clumps up around any moisture or poo, do its real easy to clean :)

I just use woodchips that were baked. It gives it a more natural look then the other options (depending on what look youre going for).

Ive been mucking around with substrate and beddings for while... i first started with Aspen, loved the stuff! but my collection grew and it was rather expensive to keep using. Also the availability of this substrate became very scarce for a few months so i had to change my options. I used news paper for a while but the smell was never absorbed enough for my liking. now i use a product called Chipsy it is very similar to Aspen and looks the same but i think its even better! I absorbs any defecations and smells very well and i highly recommend it because it the cheapest substrate iv used and works better than all the others. Give it a go!

Oz pet kitty litter works great really absorbent and looks good pet barn sell it but if you didn't have a pet barn close by you could get your local pet shop to order it in i pay $20 for 15kg bag

Compressed shavings in a huge bag are only $20 and last ages for me. I put them on newspaper and it looks good. I do not use them for hatchlings in click clacks because my little Darwins need a bit more humidity to shed well. Adults of Morelia, Antaresia and Aspidites are doing fine on them.

I'm using the compressed pine shavings for the pythons as well. Breeders choice, kiln-dried, dust-extracted. Love the stuff! It's cheap, effective, and doesn't look completely terrible:)
I did notice that at first they all had terrible sheds, but they've all come good since then and their sheds have been fine. Maybe they were adjusting?
I wanted to use coco-peat, but couldn't figure out how to dry enough of it quickly enough. And i dried some in the oven for my shinglebacks, but I burnt it, the kitchen stank for ages.

not meaning to be rude disintegratus but i have heard people say quiet a number of times on this forum to put things like sub straights and sticks and such in the oven to sterilise it or dry it , where do people get the idea that putting something that is easily combustable in the oven , it just doesn't make sense to me ovens are designed to cook food which normally isnt easily combustable , like i said im not looking for an argument or trying to be rude i just dont get the logic :)

Stop looking for an argument :p ;)

When I said I burnt it, I singed it a bit, I didn't set it on fire (which is awesome).
My logic behind it was I had wet coco-peat, but I needed dry coco-peat, and I needed it quickly.
So wetness + excessive amounts of heat = dryness.
How does everyone else dry out large amounts of coco-peat?

ok learnt your lesson though huh :)

when i do large amounts of coir peat i dont use anywhere near as much water as they say to use and let it sit for alot longer to expand as much as possible , add a little more water if needed

then once its fully expanded i get an old towel and put bunches of coir peat in that and roll it up like one of those kangaroo tails you made as a kid to whip people with , i stand on one end with my foot and twist it up really really tightly , this effectively squeezes out most of the water , note that you may have to change towels once it become to wet or just squeeze the water out of the towel best you can

then once you have done this to the bulk of the coir peat , you can either spread it out over a tarp somewhere it isnt to windy and not in the way and it will dry really quick or you can put it in a big tub and continue to turn it over depending how much there is that can take a little while as well , its best off on a tarp

and remember peeps ovens + easily combustable items is a bad idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back