snake enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbacksnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a coastal carpet and the enclosure I have her in at the moment has served its purpose and now I need to upgrade to a larger one. I am thinking of converting a bookshelf. The inside measurements are 128.5cm high x 81cm wide x 42.5cm deep. As she is aboreal will this be an adequate enclosure?
I will be putting sliding glass doors on the front. What I was thinking of doing is putting a heat lamp up the top hooked up to a thermostat. Also plenty of logs and branches for her to bask. What do you think? What type of heat lamp would be suitable and thermometre? And what about a white neon tube for abservation?
I have been searching the net for info on this but can't find anything. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Although i dont have much experience, i think that 128cm is a little to high. If it is tto high then it becomes hard to heat and hard tp create a thermal gradient.

Regards Ether

Yes spotted as a rule they do.........when they are fully growen. Redback are u planning to use this cage for the rest of the snakes days? How big is it. If it is a reasonable size then i may be worth while just building a cage that will suit it even when it is full size......saving you from building too many enclosures.

Regards Ether

Im with Ether on that one, ive learnt my lesson, also tall enclosures dont have even humidity, the water, usually on the floor, is too far away from the heatsource, if using ceiling lights only.
ive just bought a less tall enclosure of similar description, and im finding a 6c gradient and near perfect humidity too. might be quite ok with sufficient heating though, a ceramic might be better? cheers.

i agree with it being too tall but i would reccommend an infrared heat lamp as these provide heat and you can observe your animal. i have one for my coastal which is hooked up to a pre wired thermostat. These are all available from hungsta's ultimatereptile link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back