Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Heya guys, I just got back from a walk, and on the road I found a small snake (roadkill unfortunately) it looks like it must have been killed last night, because it has dried out totally and is completely flat, but i didnt see it last night or the night before, so it must have been killed after i went past.

Anyway, what i'd like to know, is if anyone can give an ID on a flat snake? its black, about 40-50cm in length, and a lot of the scales (more noticeable on the underbelly) seem to have a reddish coloured outline... and it was found at james cook university. do we get black snakes in this area?

haha its rather flat and a pic may not help.. hang on a sec n ill get one for you

Yeah I have seen a couple of rbbs in townsville.. pity they are great looking animals.

parts of the snake look like a lighter brown colour, but the majority of it seems to be extremly dark brown/black (moreso than seen in the pictures). also note that in the larger body shot ive got here, the head is upsidedown (looks like the snake is twisted

As i said.. doubt the pics will be helpful!

ATTACH]45241[/ATTACH]

View attachment 45242

Last edited:
I have seen more identifiable species come out of the deep fryer....

lol thats what i mean.. its extremely dry and flat. The roads get really hot, so would have EASILY dried it out today. took a while to get it off the road as well..

wasnt sure if it was identifiable :) thanks guys

HI shadow,
From those pics its not a Pseudechis nor is it Cryptophis nigrescens.

I suggest it is Dendrelaphis punctulatus. but without the snake in hand its quite hard to tell

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back