Snake looks hurt after feeding.. help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stripe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I fed my snake last night (murray darling carpet about 3 years old) and today when I looked at her I noticed she looks hurt. Her mouth looks wonky, sort of like when they eat? I don't know if it's swollen or not, it just looks wonky, her bottom lip. It doesn't match up with the top.

When I was feeding her she was up high, I thought she was latched on to a branch but she wasn't and when she grabbed the rat she sort of swung onto the ground :( I checked to see if she was okay and she seemed it, ate the rat normally (she's never had trouble eating this sized rat btw).

So I'm thinking her jaw might be stuck from eating somehow, or it's swollen, or as the worst case scenario it's broken :( poor little baby. Never feeding her up high again! Was stupid.

Should I take her to the vet? Or wait a few days to see if it goes back to normal 1st? I could get photos on here?

hey, their jaws are extremely durable and flexible. my murray darling had a similar problem after feeding. after a while he 'yawned' and sorta stretched it back into place. that might be the case for you too. their jaw is made up of several parts so it can expand to fit large food objects. get a photo up maybe. and considering im not a vet, maybe call one?

hey, their jaws are extremely durable and flexible. my murray darling had a similar problem after feeding. after a while he 'yawned' and sorta stretched it back into place. that might be the case for you too. their jaw is made up of several parts so it can expand to fit large food objects. get a photo up maybe. and considering im not a vet, maybe call one?

Search "injured jaw" and look at that thread. There is another link inside that thread too. Might find something helpful. darkpythons knows quite a bit about it if you can find him in my friends list.

Thanks for replying!

I really hope she will do the yawn thing :( it's odd for her not to do that straight after feeding though. I saw her rubbing her mouth on her sticks like she does when in shed (but it isn't time for her to shed) so it seems like she knows it's not right.. But I suspect she wouldn't put pressure on it like that if it hurt so I guess that's good..

Thanks for the thread info, it sounds like the smae problem. Did your snakes get fixed on its own? Tried feeling her jaw but she doesn't like being touched on the head and I'm not sure what it would feel like if it were soft. Think it's about the smae hardness as the other side, just out of place. Guess I'll see how she goes and if it's not fixed in a few days go to the vets..

Thanks for replying!

I really hope she will do the yawn thing :( it's odd for her not to do that straight after feeding though. I saw her rubbing her mouth on her sticks like she does when in shed (but it isn't time for her to shed) so it seems like she knows it's not right.. But I suspect she wouldn't put pressure on it like that if it hurt so I guess that's good..

Thanks for the thread info, it sounds like the smae problem. Did your snakes get fixed on its own? Tried feeling her jaw but she doesn't like being touched on the head and I'm not sure what it would feel like if it were soft. Think it's about the smae hardness as the other side, just out of place. Guess I'll see how she goes and if it's not fixed in a few days go to the vets..

She seems a lot better, but still a little out of whack I think. I've left her alone as much as I can. I hope its not broken, I can just imagine the vet fees hahaha. I think it was rubbing its face to try realign the jaw.

If you really do suspect a broken jaw it's probably not best to go feeling around before you've been to a vet, not very many snakes like their heads being handled as it is and you could do more damage. Ours have done the same before and always come right within a short time, but if it's ongoing you'd probably want to get to a vet asap rather than a few days.

To be honest I just tried letting her slide over my fingers to feel it, it wasn't much use. But thanks, I won't try anything more drastic.

When she swung I didn't think she hit the ground so hard to break her jaw. But I don't really know how to tell if it's broken, so I am freaking out. Think you've convinced me to get her to the vet tomorrow :| just in case..

Just be careful, some on Pilbara Pythons forum just had a SWCP with a similar problem, turned out to be quite a bad injury requiring surgery, swallowed half it's bottom teeth...

here is the thread if you wanna read URGENT!!!

This morning her mouth looks a lot better, almost back to normal. Seems like a good sign. Though it meant dad said she could wait til tomorrow for a vet, Rr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back