Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well seems they are alot more active now, unfortunately, in the wrong areas.
In the last 3 days I have seen 3 dead Carpets on the road, absolutely HATE seeing dead snakes.
My stomach drops every time I see something long and thin on teh side of the road, normally its just a shredded tire, but not lately:?

But on the brighter side, found a snake skin on my back yard yesterday, which looks like a young Eastern Brown ( I think it was about 16 or 17 mid body scales, subcaudals devided) gutted I didn't get to see it! Hopefully it hangs around my house and not the neighbours, might end up headless...

Any one else had any joy? (In the areas that actually have a winter lol)

Well I dont have winter (ahh love cairns) Went herping the other night found a lovely young scrubby :)

I have only seen one snake in my life. It was a diamond python, Massive thing, in my back yard, on a hedge, just chilling. Never seen any others, not alive, not dead, (apart from all the ones at the frog and reptile show)

Oh your lucky scorps!
thinking of moving there soon actually...

Rocky, iv only seen 3... and 4 dead lol, so Im happy to know that my new house has snakes around

As school policy we have to kill any identified venomous snakes immediately, 2 weeks and 2 browns, unfortunately at the wron place @ the wrong time..

Thats not good, its heartbreaking seeing dead snakes on the road, some people just don't care.
On Saturday my uncle found a Yellow-faced whip snake, thinking it was a python, he brang it to my place, he thought I may be able to keep it. He got bitten and he had local pain. I had a good look at it and then he took me back with it to the place he found it, then let he free where there was a log and a heap of leaves. He was about 2ft long.

As school policy we have to kill any identified venomous snakes immediately, 2 weeks and 2 browns, unfortunately at the wron place @ the wrong time..

That sucks...
Even though they are protected? Is it just like a thing people agreed on or does the school have permission from the government or what?
Or is there some law Im unaware of?

What the hell? Isn't that illegal? Thats messed up.

Forgot to mention, my neighbour is a catcher, has done quite a few lately, not sure how many exactly, i know in 1 day he got 2 Red Bellys and 1 Brown at Coolum Beach here on the coast.

New Id get slaughtered for my input!

I would say that it would be part of Education Queensland legislation and also Code of Ethics which is children first!!
Its quite frightening when you have have a very venomous snake smake bang in the middle of lunch time and were children are playing.

And who is suppose to do the killing?

Firstly I'm fairly certain that killing native wildlife is illegal, secondly it's a dangerous act in itself. If you don't kill the animal you may just piss it off, and I dunno about the people at your school, but ******* off brown snakes isn't on my list of recommended activities for anyone, let alone school goers.

What the hell? Isn't that illegal? Thats messed up.

Sadly its actually legal to kill snakes(if considered a threat) and its illegal move them (even from immediate danger) unless you are licenced to do so. Move one out of a house without permission and you are breaking a law, kill a tree snake because you think it may be a threat and you havnt broken the law. Obviously ppl should be able to kill anything to defend themselves but i think its a bit silly how you cant just move them a few meters.

Sadly its actually legal to kill snakes(if considered a threat) and its illegal move them (even from immediate danger) unless you are licenced to do so. Move one out of a house without permission and you are breaking a law, kill a tree snake because you think it may be a threat and you havnt broken the law. Obviously ppl should be able to kill anything to defend themselves but i think its a bit silly how you cant just move them a few meters.

Thats the most stupid law, I personally won't follow that law if necessary, for example, saw a cat with a snake (1st snake id ever seen in the wild) grabbed it off the cat, held it for a while to make sure it was ok, then took it about 50m form where I found it. (was a Yellow Faced Whippy)
Certainly wouldn't follow that law in cases such as that, if its in no harm fair enough ill leave it be, may pat it though lol.

Trust me I agree with most comments posted so far... and if moving them were an option than I would be the first do defend this.
It is an upsetting situation but unfortunately being in a rural school were help (relocator) is much further awayits not a risk that schools are willing to take...
I guess it comes down to the question, risk a child's life to one of Australias top3 most deadliest snakes or allow the snake to be on its way, when it is however in the middle of the school were risk is extremely high?
I have tried to defend this act but when it is in legislation there is nothing that can be done.

In this situation I believe moving them a few metres is only aggrivating the risk!

Yep they are definitely out and about around here. Saw a yearling size carpet at my place, a large green tree snake at a friends and a road killed YF whipsnake last weekend.

Planning to go for a drive one night this weekend for a look around particularly if we get a bit of rain. Still early but hope to see something.

Cheers andrew

don't most snake bites occur when people interfere (kill) snakes? Isn't this just setting a bad example for the kids?

do you have children?
no matter how many times you will say leave it alone, curiosity will always get the better of them!
Mind you all of the children are moved away from the area and are not aware what has happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back