Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As school policy we have to kill any identified venomous snakes immediately, 2 weeks and 2 browns, unfortunately at the wron place @ the wrong time..

School policy??? You're joking!!! I am afraid it is an offence to kill or harm protected species (this includes native snakes) as it also an offence to procure or counsel another to commit an offence, which, prima facie is what such a policy is doing, if what you are saying is true.

Yep they are definitely out and about around here. Saw a yearling size carpet at my place, a large green tree snake at a friends and a road killed YF whipsnake last weekend.

Planning to go for a drive one night this weekend for a look around particularly if we get a bit of rain. Still early but hope to see something.

Cheers andrew

Yea well it had been raining over night before I saw these snakes on teh road, was almost 20*c at 1am, was nice.
suppose to rain tonight, might go for a wander round the yard
Damn cane toads are everywhere again though:evil:
My stupid dog grabbed 2 tonight, thats what happens they grow up in nz with nothing dangerous at all lol.

If you, the teachers, are killing snakes, then you're encouraging the students to kill the snakes- which means bitten students.

At our school, when a snake is spotted, a student goes to the administrators block, gets a teacher, and the teachers waits near the snake until a relocator arrives. That way, no one is harmed and the snake isn't in any danger.

NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE ACT - SECT 112

112 Harming snakes

A person shall not be convicted of an offence against this Act in respect of the harming of a snake unless it is proved that there were no grounds on which the person could reasonably have believed at any relevant time that the snake was endangering, or was likely to endanger, any person or property.

90 Prep to year 7 students - One of Australia's top 3 most venomous snake: ENDANGERING A PERSON

Mind you I am not saying that snakes should be harmed just clarrifying pm's I have recieved in regards to this being highly illegal wether it is Ed QLD policy / legislation or not!!

Although my point is... if my child was in a school were vemomous snakes are a frequent occurence and medical help a fair distance away Im sure most with children would understand the posts!

As far as I am aware, you are within your legal right to handle a snake that is found on the road.

If you, the teachers, are killing snakes, then you're encouraging the students to kill the snakes- which means bitten students.

At our school, when a snake is spotted, a student goes to the administrators block, gets a teacher, and the teachers waits near the snake until a relocator arrives. That way, no one is harmed and the snake isn't in any danger.

While i think the system you suggest is better, i think the kids still would get a clear message that the snake is dangerous and not a kids toy. Why would they think it would be safer to try and copy a teacher who would no doubt be telling them how dangerous it is, than it would be to copy someone who picks up the snake without it showing any sign of aggresion(as is possible in many cases) and then preaches how snakes wont hurt them? One typically exagerates the danger out of ignorance while the other typically talks it down to try and stop ppl killing snakes. It is also obviously far more dangerous to catch a snake than to kill it.

Not always, if you look at stats from snake bite victims, alot of them are bitten, trying to kill the snake.
If I was a teacher (which I couldn't do, not a fan of kids lol) there is no way I would follow that policy, if your experienced with snakes, would be easier to pick it up and take it else where, maybe even have a teacher that goes to ven. handling course and deals with all the snakes at the school. (If theres a teacher at the school that doesn't have a fear of them)

Last edited:
At my kids school there have been a few snakes spotted recently so they just ban the kids from that area for a few days until the catcher can relocate the snake. It's no big deal as it's a common occurence & something they have obviously learnt to deal with.

Road toll whent up to 5 yesterday, this rain must be bringing them out. Im sure ill see more today on my drive up to Hervey Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back