snappy diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus

Reaction score
hey guys
firstly, thanks to everyone who gave me some help on finding breeders and setting up for my new/first snake!
i bought a high yellow diamong the other day, she's beautiful (although only a few months old so not yet yellow) and i just cant stop watching her!
i've only had her for a week, fed her once (she was due for a feed) and she ate very well and quickly. the only thing is she is SNAPPY, and i mean snappy. you can't hold her for more than a few seconds without her biting, and she's biting 2 or 3 times a minute. i'm gentle with her, supporting her weight, letting her slide around in my hands but making sure she doesnt drop. what am i doing wrong?? will she grow out of this, or have i just picked a particularly angry python? it's making me avoid picking her up =(

Is she jumpy when you hold her and try to launch?
You might just be holding her too tightly, they hate the feeling of being squeezed. It takes a while to learn the right pressure to make them relax.

You've only had her for a week, let her settle in.

cement - i'm pretty sure i'm not holding her too tightly. I'm used to handling reptiles so i don't think that's the problem. thanks for the advice though =)
mungus - yeah, they knew it was my first snake and the person who sold it to me was very helpful about the whole process.
darlyn - i hope you're right and that when she's settled in she'll calm down

Alot of people say to not even touch your snake for the first 3 weeks or so. Think of it from the snakes point of view.. it's just been moved into a scary new place with scary new sounds and smells and you're trying to grab it all the time.. I'd probably bite you too.

PhilK - yeah, i've been doing some reading on the net tonight and that seems to be the generally thought. I think i'll leave her for another week or two and see how she goes.

as they get older, they will seem to tolerate handling. by the time they are a year old, usually, if they have not calmed down since then, they probab;y wont get out of the habit, if they do become calm, they should always be calm

LoL they are carpet !! Morelias are not colubrids.... most of them get cool with time but its normal that a young one is snappy. Eveyr feeding time (each week maxi or every 10 days) u can handle it a bit = letting her moving on your hands, arms... and little by little she might get used to like most of the Morelias.

You got a chainsaw lol most Diamonds calm down very quickly. I got 2 little Bredli that are still chomping on me, big time, after 4 months...:)

I'd say let it settle in a bit longer as well, but just a thought, what temps have you got for it...I found my diamonds became very agro when they were too hot...

Just a thought but have u got any odors on yr hands, i use a product called repti-hand, it stinks to high heaven but the reasoning is that it eliminates all odors from yr hands ?

Some snakes take a month to settle into there new home if its overly snappy just leave it alone and when you do handle keep to about 2 minutes slowly increas handle time that will allow your new pet to be comfortable with you

Some snakes take a month to settle into there new home if its overly snappy just leave it alone and when you do handle keep to about 2 minutes slowly increas handle time that will allow your new pet to be comfortable with you

lol but some never settle down.

update: she handles beautifully now! it seems like she just needed to grow out of it. thanks for all your helps! xx

DSC00240.jpg

first photo is her in her water bowl (during the heat wave we just had in newcastle!) and the second one is me holding her out in the sun

Attachments

• DSC00225.jpg
    DSC00225.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 46
update: she handles beautifully now! it seems like she just needed to grow out of it. thanks for all your helps! xx

I know the feeling. My Jungle was completely evil the first week or two I had her. I think I was bitten around 40-50 times.
She settled down quickly, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back