Snappy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Streak

Reaction score
Hi my new snake is very calm but today when the water got every where and i had to take him out, he snapped at me he hadnt before. if he snapped at me now, and now he is always in snap mode, will he be like that forever? whate can i do to make him good again?

One snap, does not a vicious killer make! you have good and bad days dont you? :D

It may have just been suprised or wasn't in the mood to be picked up. What is it and how old? It is hard to say if it will be snappy or not, There is no real answer to that question only time will tell. Handling it will help though.

i hav found that snakes react to flinching and even if u are prepared to get a bite u alomost always flinch. if this is the case then try wearing gloves, not so it doesnt hurt (not that a juvie snake bite hurts anyway) but it seems to get rid of fliching and the snake will soon realise that it doesnt hav any affect on u and generally stops biting. LTG....it worked for me and my darwin.

Don't put him down if he bites you or strikes at you. That will re inforce his behaviour.

You be the boss now or you'll never be sure of him.

Em

Yeah, I echo Africa's comments. Regular gentle, (short) handling sessions.

Every one of my snakes (except the olive, bless him!) were very snappy as youngsters. However, their fangs/teeth were so small at that age, that they barely pierced the skin, and certainly didn't bleed OR hurt. By the time they grew enough to do some damage, they got over the biting thing.

Remember, they are small and relatively defenceless, so looking agressive is probably their only means of defence. It's so cute! "Aw, look.... she's trying to bite me! How cute!".

This is only my opinion, based on my own observation of my snakes.

My murray hates splashing water and goes snappy too, just handle handle handle and be the boss as everyone has said, if you want to, get him out on a hook then get him, less likely to strike once on the hook...

From what I have been reading you have only just got this snake, after a few weeks of settling in to its new home it will feel more secure and less likely to bite. If after the settling period it still likes to snap then regular handling could be the go

Did he snap at you when your hand was in the cage actually getting him out or was it when he was completely out of the cage. My snake, when i first got it, snapped faily often when i put my hand it to get it out but when it was out of the cage it was fine. It is now fairly peaceful and is getting better every day!

Regards Ether

umm no i got him out, and then let him run around the desk foir about 2 min, then i went to pick him up, with the mini hook thing i orderd, so i can put him on my hand, ansd i couldnt get underhim to i put my hand in and snap, he didnt get me. i am so nervous about him biting me, even though i know it wont hurt. i just get ready to flinch. But i would really like to know how often u handled them as youngys, especially i think it was angel rose or earth mother, someone said they handle there almos tall day when its around there shoulder?
Oh and its about 5 months

i havent herd of over handling, if done correctly, the more the better just get him out a few times a week for a bit while your watching tv or some thing and let him cralw from hand to hand
avoid sudden movments when holding
i handle mine every chance i get and he is calm as and i have done since i got him
my mate always has his out and i dont think they would ever have a go at ya

lol. so i should handle him as much as possible, that is so great, he has been really good. he loves hanging, he hung from my lamp for about 1/2 an hour last night while i was doin work. but his front part of his body is always in S mode, but he has never hissed, does this mean he is ready to bite caus ei pick him up when he is like that and he doesnt, does this mean he is thinkning about it?

he is in alert mod ready to do what ever he might have to do.
just give him time and handel him with your HANDS lots, dont just let him hang from places you want him to fimilurize with you and your hand not the furnature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back