Snappy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Echo Lukes comment that you'd do better to be holding the snake the whole time he is out. He will become familliar with your smell and recognize you. My Bredli was snappy as when I got her. I have held her everyday for about 15mins or more and now she has become placid enough after only a short time.Persevere and thou shall conquer. :)

Blue hun, let him bite you, once it happens you wont be scared anymore... seriously it doesnt hurt.... just dont rip your hand away as you may hurt him.

ps: if you were poking at me with a clumsy metal pole before you tried to grab ME, i would bite you too...

lol thanks all, but im such a coward lol i think ill get my dad to hold my hand in front of him, so then i cant flinch and iw ill get bitten lol Big help everyone, cause i heard alot that u werent supposed to hold them alot, like once a week and i was devistated. but im glad to here people do handle there snakes alot ( i meant that in the most un awkward way possible)

earthmother said:
Don't put him down if he bites you or strikes at you. That will re inforce his behaviour.

You be the boss now or you'll never be sure of him.

Em

Does this mean snakes are capable of learning? didnt someone say that means it can "enjoy" aswell? hmmmm

p.s. do people really use hooks for non venomous snakes? I assume its for the snakes benefit, i.e no broken off teeth/poss infection?

I have heard that as youngsters you have to be careful not to handle them to much as they can become stressed and that can lead to ilnesses. If you are scared of getting bitten then use gloves and as you get more confident then take them off.

Regards Ether

instar said:
earthmother said:
Don't put him down if he bites you or strikes at you. That will re inforce his behaviour.

You be the boss now or you'll never be sure of him.

Em

Does this mean snakes are capable of learning? didnt someone say that means it can "enjoy" aswell? hmmmm

Hello Inny,

It's more a case of Me learning to be the boss of something much smaller and not potentionally dangerous to me - but being instinctive animals I don't think they can be taught. Do you?
In a nutshell my op is that they don't "learn" - they adapt.

Em
If snakes learnt to be like us they would've been on Jerry Springer by now or making money out of defanging themselves - let's hope they NEVER learn from us!

Lol yeah tonight i took him out and handled him without gloves or hook, an d he was great, didnt even look like he was goin to bite. aslong as i moved really slowly i could pick him up and everything, and he curled up on my lap right next to my stomach. it was cool, he didnt look stressed when i mput him back in his cage he tried getting out and starting moving towards myh hand :D very happy, but i kinda wanted him to bite me so i could get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back