So bloody mad!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmy82

Reaction score
well yesterday i went and got a couple of tubs crickets yesterday thou it was from a different shop then i go to then i got home and started feeding some of reps. now this morning i have gone to check on my babys and i have found two of my tristis dead, three levis levis and 2 thicktail juvies all dead
i have tried talking to the pet shop bout this, and they dont think that it has anything to do with the crickets but i tend to think it does since becuase know of the reptiles are kept together and they are in different rooms of the house. the only thing that all these poor guys had in common was that they were fed the crickets last nite. i am now at a loss as wat to do now. the pet shop arent any help and dont want to help me. any advice guys n girls

Oh NO!!!! Sorry to hear that mate!!! I be pissed too! Although I have no idea what u can do, I would be doing something! Hope someone will come up with some idea! Have you got any crickets left? Are they still alive?

Thats terrible :( im so sorry. I hate pet shop owners that are just in it for the money i would have brought them in and thrown them at their face and scream my lungs out saying "LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!"
But thats just me lol

Holy Crappa mate, so sorry to hear of your loss that's massive. I'm not sure about what im going to suggest but it came to mind,...

Get an autopsy done on them if you have some of the crix left over get them tested and see if it is the shops food source,...I have no idea how you'd go about it all but that's all I have for now. So sorry man.

Best of luck with the aftermath :(

i plan on getting an autopsy done and i dont have any crickets left in out of that tub thou i was thinking bout getting there carrots tested and lettuce tested that was in the box thou i dont know wear to get them tested and the pet shop has already sed even if it can prove that there was something wrong with the tub of crickets will wont help me or replace any thing which sucks cos my the two tristis that died were my fav reps.

This is terrible :( If you have any crickets left (dead or alive, but preferably alive) take them to a vet ASAP and get them to run some tests on them for any parasites or poisons etc, that may be in the crickets, then if you get any results, you have proof that the crickets killed your reptiles and you can take that to the company the crickets came from, use your imagination from there.

So sad.

Ask the local vet to run some toxicology tests on the dead pets and the remaining crickets.

Will probably cost a bit, but if he finds any poisons in/on both I'd then be naming and shaming the shop and consulting a lawyer.

Just an observation insects killed by regular surface and flying insect sprays (Baygon) and roach baits don't seem to have any effect on lizards. Lizzy the EWS has been known to clean up dead and half dead roaches she's found in places I can't get at and eat them and she has been fine afterwards.

I would stand out the front of the shop and hand out fliers stating what has happened. Continue doing it until the store replaced the animals they ate responsible for killing

i plan on getting an autopsy done and i dont have any crickets left in out of that tub thou i was thinking bout getting there carrots tested and lettuce tested that was in the box thou i dont know wear to get them tested and the pet shop has already sed even if it can prove that there was something wrong with the tub of crickets will wont help me or replace any thing which sucks cos my the two tristis that died were my fav reps.

If you can proove that it was the crickets dont worry about what the shop say. Contact a lawyer and sue their butts off!!!

Real nice of them to not offer any help, well that bit of non compliance might just be their downfall at the end of it all. Good luck with the testing and if it does come back to them as the source, I so hope you get some recompense out of it and a bit extra.

My suggestion would be to take the dead animals to an experience herp vet asap so he can do the appropriate tests. Crickets are pretty sensitive. I could be wrong but you would think that the crickets would die first if something was wrong with them. Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you find the reason.

Last edited:
And DON'T put the dead reptiles in the freezer, Otherwise the vet won't be able to test for what ever killed your reptiles. Put them in the fridge instead and get to the vet ASAP.

That is terrible. I hope u find out the cause, & if the crickets are to blame, i hope the petshop pays! (not that it will bring back ur dear little friends, but hopefully it will teach them to clean up their act so this doesnt happen to anyone else!) I know this is a little off topic, but this actually had me wondering......i just read within the last few days that someone suggested chicken necks as an 'alternative' food item for their snakes......with all the steroids etc used in chickens these days would this not be dangerous for the snake? Before u 'flame' me......im not considering feeding matilda chicken necks, i just found it interesting when i read about it, i have never thought of 'alternatives' to rodents......i hate them so i love seeing them be eaten! :lol:

That is terrible. I hope u find out the cause, & if the crickets are to blame, i hope the petshop pays! (not that it will bring back ur dear little friends, but hopefully it will teach them to clean up their act so this doesnt happen to anyone else!) I know this is a little off topic, but this actually had me wondering......i just read within the last few days that someone suggested chicken necks as an 'alternative' food item for their snakes......with all the steroids etc used in chickens these days would this not be dangerous for the snake? Before u 'flame' me......im not considering feeding matilda chicken necks, i just found it interesting when i read about it, i have never thought of 'alternatives' to rodents......i hate them so i love seeing them be eaten! :lol:

Apparently hormones are not used in chicken was stopped 40yrs ago which is quite a while ago it is not allowed and tested for in this country so you can count that one out.

I definitely wouldn't let this one rest.... I would be finding someone, ANYONE who could help.

I would do as an above poster suggested, handing out fliers in the street and in front of their door, while they are busiest. Bad word of mouth is the WORST form of punishment for places like this, as it doesn't take much to get under their skin and you will harm their business more than it would cost them to offer you compensation for the loss of value of your pets (I know it can't replace them, it never can, but hitting them in the hip pocket will make you feel better so I say go for it)

They could have handled it a LOT differently.............. You, bringing it to their attention should have resulted in them apologising to you for the loss of your pets and they should have offered to contact the supplier and taken all other stock from the supplier off the shelves as a show of good faith in what you were telling them was correct. Then at least, even if there was no outcome, they would have tried anyway and they wouldn't have been a.r.s.e.h.o.l.e.s!!!

I think you have the right to demand the contact details of their supplier. I would to to the department of fair trading to see what your rights are in regards to finding out information of suppliers.

Good luck - So sorry for the loss of your little ones and I hope the store pays for their total lack of compassion and their care factor of zero. This is another reason I hate a lot (not all, some are great) pet stores.

My dad has been feeding all his snakes nothing but chicken necks for many years now (much cheaper then rats) and all his snakes are in perfect health and good sizes. I don't feed chicken necks to any of my snakes, just for the record :)

Last edited:
Apparently hormones are not used in chicken was stopped 40yrs ago which is quite a while ago it is not allowed and tested for in this country so you can count that one out.

oh ok, well there u go, it was stopped long before i was even born......& yet i still here people talking about 'hormone pumped' chickens! Good to know that what im eating isnt bad for me then.......but on the topic of using them for snake food.....was this person maybe just kidding or is it something that people really do? :oops:

Just seen above post.....so yes people do & have done so without problems.....cool, well u learn something new everyday on here! & yeah, im with u on that, it isnt something i would do personally, but is interesting to know all the same!

Last edited:
While it's pretty awful that the petshop won't help you out i can kind of understand where they're coming from; they didn't kill your reps, the supplier did. This really is something that the shop should take up with the supplier, and if necessary, cease doing business with them.

You may not like this reply but unfortunately even if you found out the cause you could never get direct proof that the pet shop was at fault.They could throw many reasons at you one being that you did something wrong with the crickets,sorry for you loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back