So I got creative with my GTP enclosure!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow great work mate looking at do the same thing soon.
How humid does it get at the top from the fogger,i see alot of people use foggers with the gtp.
My mates just bought a misting systym for his gtp he reckons they are the go ?

AWESOME!! I wanna create something like that on a smaller scale for when I get my frogs :D
how do frogs do with the waterfalls and the mister? I hear the misters get warm/hot?

wow that looks amazing, i've always been a fan of the waterfalls too, i just think they raise the bar a little :) i personally would go with bamboo
be sure to show us the end result, good luck mate

wow that looks amazing, i've always been a fan of the waterfalls too, i just think they raise the bar a little :) i personally would go with bamboo
be sure to show us the end result, good luck mate

Bamboo looks nice but it grows this black mold on it in humid conditions. I use it all the time but replacing it every month or so. Maybe if you coat it with some estapol or two-pac it may hold better. Don't use water-based estapot, it also attracts mold.

NIce one!

Can you tell me how you made the rocky ledge background? You said rubber, where did you get the rubber from and how did you craft it?

Cheers!

Davey

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone :)

Today I purchased a pump/filter setup that is now running behind the rock wall, that continually pumps water and keeps it moving and airated (spelling?) - as well as filters it.

The water will need changing once a week I'd say, unless it gets soiled, but essentially it should run like a small fish tank, just without the fish ;)

Hopefully this is the only solution i'll need to the waterfeatures I've got in there now, it will stop the water going stagnant and smelling :)

NIce one!

Can you tell me how you made the rocky ledge background? You said rubber, where did you get the rubber from and how did you craft it?

Cheers!

Davey

I aren't the most technically gifted person when it comes to crafting things, so i went the lazy way and bought it :)

I got the rock background from "aquariums r us" at Wollowin (brisbane) - its significantly more detailed and has much deeper and more defined features than the foam 3d backgrounds you get at pet stores, and because its got a fair bit of depth to it and its hollow underneath, it allows for pumps and other equipment and cables to hide behind it. It is also and almost perfect fit, only had to trim about 3cm off the bottom left corner and trim a little groove out for the glass divider i'd built in and it fit perfectly :)

It is made out of rubber of some kind, which has been molded over an actual rock or sandstone escarpment, then covered in a thin layer of coloured concrete :)

The enclosure, plants, waterfall, fogger and a few other bits and pieces came from the well known pet store on Stafford Road, thanks to Jay76 (who works there) for his assistance and help in selecting, pricing and collecting it all :D

Thanks for the kind works mayhem. It looks great mate.

yeh, still working on that part hahaha! I am looking into water filtration/treatment options now. My ex-house mates huge fish tank and external filtration system might find itself getting reappointed lol

I successfully built a bio filter that coped with all that 6 Green Tree Frogs can put out from a 2 litre juice bottle. All the water for the water feature was drawn through it. The water remained crystal clear all the time. It might struggle a bit with what GTP's put out but still an option worth considering.

Definetly a biological filtration setup will work wonders for heeping the water clean. Good quality co**** filter noodles and filter wool are a haven for good bacteria to breed in and will help alot in keeping the ammonia levels down. Not sure how it will go with gtp crap but a bit of trial an error and you will be sweet!

I successfully built a bio filter that coped with all that 6 Green Tree Frogs can put out from a 2 litre juice bottle. All the water for the water feature was drawn through it. The water remained crystal clear all the time. It might struggle a bit with what GTP's put out but still an option worth considering.

You feel like posting up a tech???

I think a good filter/pump will work fairly well for now, but my next concern is the amount of noise/vibration its making.

Because the water is so shallow, I've mounted it sideways so its underwater, but I think I'm going to have to take another look at how i've mounted it and try it out in a deeper tank just to make sure its not the pump itself.

Bump this to make a suggestion:
If you put a drain in the bottom of the tank you can run the water out of the tank, into a bucket via and external filter or whatever if needs be. Your pump then sits in the bucket, out of the cage and vibration-free and sends the water back up into the cage. If you want water standing in the tank put a little length of poly pipe up through the middle of a plug and put the plug in your drain hole. The water level in the bottom of the cage will then remain at the height of the protruding poly pipe "overflow".

just a quick question wont this make the humidity level go through the roof?

So, what do you GTP keepers think the relative humidity inside GTP enclosure should be?
Do you keep close check on it?
Do you ever let the humidity fluctuate? If so, what is the range?
How do you maintain high humidity and good ventilation?

Perhaps you could lead the charge?

Not really, I don't use any type of humidifying, so I am interested what my counterparts in temperate zone are doing. It seems that lot of people talk about humidity & GTPs, it would be interesting to see some figures.

OK, here is my contribution. At the moment the rel. humidity is 55% out here.

So, what do you GTP keepers think the relative humidity inside GTP enclosure should be?
Do you keep close check on it?
Do you ever let the humidity fluctuate? If so, what is the range?
How do you maintain high humidity and good ventilation?

I think you raise the humidity once a day by spraying and then let it drop down slowly to the next day. To maintain humidity you would put the air vent low in the enclosure. I may be wrong but that is just what I do. I would be interested in you view on these points Waterrat. Cheers Jarrod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back