So I got creative with my GTP enclosure!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice mayhem and i think ive got the same background if anyone is interested its a company called universal habitats or universal rocks and mayhem is right it is made out of rubber and has actual gravel and rock flakes on it to improve the naturalistic look

So, does that mean that you are not measuring the humidity levels? It's fine, I am just curious.
Some people apparently keep them at 85% humidity - they are either not measuring it accurately or their GTPs are swimming.

Lets hear some more.

So, does that mean that you are not measuring the humidity levels? It's fine, I am just curious.
Some people apparently keep them at 85% humidity - they are either not measuring it accurately or their GTPs are swimming.

Lets hear some more.

I must admit I dont measure my humidity.

I just checked my humidity and it was 47% and I sprayed about 1.5 hours ago

Not green pythons, but it's gets so dry in coastal NSW where I am that even scrubbies need extra humidity. I keep my hygrometer in the cage at over 30%, never goes over 65 RH though, even with spraying. It's not unusual to have 10% humidity for a few weeks on end; everything goes brittle. The evaporative water loss from rainforest adapted species would go through the roof under these conditions. I might look this up and see if there's any real info out there.

One thing, living in the tropics you can forget about dry flaky skin, for both you and your snakes :)

The best snake water loss information I can find at the moment is this, from 1968. Sounds like there's a big difference between xeric and mesic species:

1. The skin, rather than the respiratory tract, was the major avenue
for evaporative water loss in the two species of snakes examined.
2. The total evaporation of the brown water snake (Natrix taxispilota) was
3'3 times greater than that of the desert-dwelling Sonora gopher snake (Pituophis
catenifer affinis).
3. The pulmonary component of evaporation was nearly the same in the two
species, hence the cutaneous component accounted for the difference in total
evaporation.
4. These results are in accord with findings in other reptiles, which likewise
show a correlation of reduced evaporative water loss to the aridity of their
environment.

Schmidt-Nielsen K and Prange, H (1968.) Evaporative water loss in snakes. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 1969, VoL 28, pp. 973 to 975.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back