So very excited! My first dragon!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahScales

Reaction score
So my interstate adoration of one particular bearded dragon may be becoming a reality.

So I just wanted to confirm all the details of my cage specifics, diet and generally my care for this animal is going to be good from day one. Better to know now if I am making a terrible mistake.

My cage itself is 4ft by 2ft. It is fitted with a theromostat which is attached to a heat cord that runs beneath the warmest two thirds of the cage which keeps the temperature at a balmy 28 degrees. The half without any heat source generally remains about 20-22 but can get as high as 27 depending on the ambient temperature of my room.

Above the basking log/hide I have a dual light fixture which has a UVB and a 75watt basking lamp fitted.

In the cage there is also a shallow stone drinking bowl and a few larger stones and logs scattered around the place.

The substrate I have decided on are slate tiles from bunnings (easy to clean indoors, saves me getting sand everywhere).

Now! Along with the indoor tank, I also have a large run outdoors that used to be used for a rabbit many aeons ago. It is a large square 6ft by 6ft that has a plastic base that was buried 1ft down (So the rabbits couldn't dig out). The walls are a very fine metal mesh which still allows a most of sun in. I was thinking of decorating this with logs, rocks, a shallow water pool and putting a few bits and pieces of food in there for the inhabitant to forage for. The ground has grown-over and is now a majority clover but has a little grass too. Would this be acceptable? I was hoping real UVB a few days a week would encourage a healthy dragon.

Have I missed anything? Is there something else I need to take into consideration or that I have forgotten?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sarah.

So my interstate adoration of one particular bearded dragon may be becoming a reality.

So I just wanted to confirm all the details of my cage specifics, diet and generally my care for this animal is going to be good from day one. Better to know now if I am making a terrible mistake.

My cage itself is 4ft by 2ft. It is fitted with a theromostat which is attached to a heat cord that runs beneath the warmest two thirds of the cage which keeps the temperature at a balmy 28 degrees. The half without any heat source generally remains about 20-22 but can get as high as 27 depending on the ambient temperature of my room.

Above the basking log/hide I have a dual light fixture which has a UVB and a 75watt basking lamp fitted.

In the cage there is also a shallow stone drinking bowl and a few larger stones and logs scattered around the place.

The substrate I have decided on are slate tiles from bunnings (easy to clean indoors, saves me getting sand everywhere).

Now! Along with the indoor tank, I also have a large run outdoors that used to be used for a rabbit many aeons ago. It is a large square 6ft by 6ft that has a plastic base that was buried 1ft down (So the rabbits couldn't dig out). The walls are a very fine metal mesh which still allows a most of sun in. I was thinking of decorating this with logs, rocks, a shallow water pool and putting a few bits and pieces of food in there for the inhabitant to forage for. The ground has grown-over and is now a majority clover but has a little grass too. Would this be acceptable? I was hoping real UVB a few days a week would encourage a healthy dragon.

Have I missed anything? Is there something else I need to take into consideration or that I have forgotten?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sarah.

- - - Updated - - -

This is sort of a layout of the indoor cage:
m8lj84.png

Last edited:
My bearded dragons are 9 years old. I find that your warm side is suitable, but a basking spot of 43 c ( 110 f) would be great for digestion. UVA bulbs ( I would get a 10.0) do not compare to natural sun. If they can spend time outside, that would be beneficial. Be careful that they do not get nose rubs or torn claws from rubbing or climbing on the mesh caging. Also, be sure that they do not injure themselves from a climb and fall.

Some dragons do not recognize standing water, and drink "dew" from a misted area of the cage. My dragons are "spray bottle" fed water. There are exceptions.

Leafy greens, with a mixture of crickets, Phoenix worms, Dubia roaches, and horn worms ( farm raised) become part of a good diet as adults. Juveniles should not be fed insects that are wider than the spot between their eyes, which may cause paralysis. A good dusting of calcium and vitamins ( per indicated on packaging) is a good idea. Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value and spinach, broccoli, and kale block calcium absorption.

Fire flies are toxic to bearded dragons, as well as cedar wood oils.

Baby dragons should be housed in small enclosures until they mature in size.

I hope this helps. Beautiful animals with wonderful personalities!

Thank you very much! I will look at a higher watt globe or moving the globe itself closer to get a higher basking temperature.

agreed with 43C for basking and a misty bottle for water, mine also take watered down juice from a plastic syringe, but thts a treat rather than regular watering.

the outdoor bunny run sounds awesome!! any chance of pics?

mine get their sun on sunny windowsills most days, theyre so spoilt they seem to prefer that to teh scary outside world!!
(windows open to let the good rays in, flyscreens screwed checked for safety regularly on to keep the lizzies in)

you probably wont find horn worms and phoenix worms here, were not lucky enough to have that much variety,..you'll easily find crickets and roaches tho.

as an adult you'll want 80-90% of his diet to be greens/ve anyway,..good easy to find greens are chinese broc, bok choy and pak choy (coles) baby endive (woolies) endive (fruit shops)
i also use loose leaf baby rocket and a bit of teh mixed gourmet lettuces (available pretty much anywhere)

hope ur dragon becomes a reality, i think most sellers would go a bit further to guarantee their beloved pet a home like ur providing.

DOMINGOS... i would assume you are from the states? i wish we could get that selection of live bugs here but we are limited to meal worms, superworms, crickets or roaches and seasonal silk worms ( which are just coming in to stock now :D )

I think i agree with a hotter basking light and if you get a few days out in real uv a week you willl be more than enough uv to have one globe down one end. Your going to have a very happy dragon. putting dragons in the real sun changes them to be very happy dragons, mine love it.

CHRIS1, what type of jusic? just like orange or apple? non sweetend i think mine would love a sip

Perhaps replacing the UVB bulb with a second, lower wattage heat bulb to bring up the basking spot temperature would be good? As I work from home, my dragon would be spending a minimum of five days outdoors from about 10am (Its still got a nippy winter chill in the air any earlier) to about 2 or 3. I would think he would need a few hours indoors under his high temperature basking spot without disturbing his day to night cycle. Is that right?

DOMINGOS... i would assume you are from the states? i wish we could get that selection of live bugs here but we are limited to meal worms, superworms, crickets or roaches and seasonal silk worms ( which are just coming in to stock now :D )

I am from the states. My dragons literally jump off their perches at the sight of horn worms. I like them because they equate to between 20 and 40 crickets, depending on the size, and provide lots of moisture. I've tried super worms, but they cause constipation in my dragons because of their hard shell.

I mostly use silkworms for my frogs, and will probably do so with the dragon. They're nice and soft, easy to digest, apparently delicious and they are free!
(Plus his cricket and vegetable portions!).

45celcius for basking spot.
10.0 uvb
crickets and woodies only. No worms of any kind.
Calcium and vitamin dust
Good selection of vegies. No iceburg lettuce or avocado

silkworms are great for beardies, very nutritious and low in fat,.....wish i had a free supply!!!!

If anyone needs some silkies posted out, I'd be happy to do it. I've got a tree ful!

thats handy to know Sarah, can only get containers here with about 8 at a time in them, can access mulberry leaves without too much of a hassle, have found places where they overhang the fences lol

here is a link to a site (American) which lists food for dragons and its nutritional value, good guide

Nutrition Content

If anyone needs some silkies posted out, I'd be happy to do it. I've got a tree ful!

Wow you must live in a special part of Sydney ,are they on a mullberry tree? . wher i am and all areas where i have family the silkies have been removed by Noisy minors inidan minors and other introduced birds !!

Get a couple of rocket plants stuff grows like a weed and dragons love it ( well mine do) also quite partial to mashed sweet potato

I'm kind of lucky ( except for the whole allergies thing) but my neighbors have 12 cats between the two of them. So not many minors dare to visit my mulberry trees with three hungry cats all lounging on the fence it's growing next to. My silkworms are plenty safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back