soaking in water bowl

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tweety2

Reaction score
hiya all,
i was just wondering if there could be any harm in a snake soaking himself in his water bowl for "too long". you see i have a 16 month old coastal who for the last 3 days and been soaking himself and refuses to get out, his enclosure temps are fine (29.6 hot end) (25.3 cool end). He seems fine but since he has never done it b4 i was just a bit concerned that he may be in there for too long, if there is such a thing as too long that is :)
thanks all
Lisa

No harm. Is he due to shed? Checked for mites? Checked accuracy of thermometres, not too hot?. If all fine there shouldnt be any need to worry, some just seem to enjoy a swim

it could be doing it just to cool its self down or it could have mites, they r the only two reson why they do it.

this is something that comes up often and the fact is that it doesn't have to be time for a sloth or mites. The fact is that there are some that just like the water. One of my coastals will soak for days at a time for no other reason then he likes it.

I have had my coastals do this very rarely and I am sure that there was nothing wrong with them. Definitely not mites or due for a slough.

I also discount the theory that they are in the water bowl to cool off. It only works this way if you are warm blooded (and the water temperature is cooler than you are). If they were simulating sweat but getting wet and then exposing themselves to a breeze then this would cool them off.

Most likely my guys wanted a bath or the water bowl happend to be at the exact temperature they wanted to be at.

cwarren72 said:
this is something that comes up often and the fact is that it doesn't have to be time for a sloth or mites. The fact is that there are some that just like the water. One of my coastals will soak for days at a time for no other reason then he likes it.

I agree I have a 9ft prosapine that loves to soak often

hahahaha how stupid do i feel, i went to feed him yesterday arvo just for him to eat one rat then shed himself then go back and eat his second rat. So i'm a bit red faced right now as i never saw this shed coming cos he only shed 3 weeks ago. ahhhh well, thanks for advice guys (at least it wasnt mites!!!!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back