some people

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodarknessanny

Reaction score
tisk, i dont know, (shakes head)

so i got an intrestin call and visit this arfternoon at work, a costomer who we sold a spotted hatchling tp last year, apparently the snake had gone off of its food, i was horrofied by what they told me!.

he said that he had been feeding it live lizards from the garden, the snake was also eating mice (live) . this annoyed me, the particular snake when it was in my care as a trubble feeder, id tryed many diffrent things with it and it like geckos, so i eventuly (with a LOT of work) got it to eatting pink mice (thawed ones!) that were gecko sented. it took a long while but i eventuly had the particular hatchling eating unsented thawed pink mice.

every feeding attempt recorded, the snake went out with this record. i spent a good deal of time explaning how and who to do things with the guy long before he took the snake home (it was on lay-bys)

so the now eating regulary snake went to its new home. APPARENTLY the guys nighour sugessted to him that it would be a good idea to feed it lizards from the wild, APPARENTLY he also fed it crickets! (*** no snake in the history of the world eats incects)

so he brought the snake in concerned about the fack that it wasent eating, i gave it a look over looking for any obvouse problems concidering its diet, the snake looked fine to me, good body mass, no mites it was in the akward stage of a shed thou, a little smal but still within the normal size range for a animal of its age (concidering its diet)

and so i found my self once again explaning how and why to do things. to the guy and the risks involved in the way it was beeing fed,

sadly thou i felt my cautions were falling on deaf ears, no dobut they will be back or call again with the same problem,

That suxs some people just don't care about advice or anything like that and should not have reptiles I hope this time they take in what you told them and do the right thing.

tisk, i dont know, (shakes head)

so i got an intrestin call and visit this arfternoon at work, a costomer who we sold a spotted hatchling tp last year, apparently the snake had gone off of its food, i was horrofied by what they told me!.

he said that he had been feeding it live lizards from the garden, the snake was also eating mice (live) . this annoyed me, the particular snake when it was in my care as a trubble feeder, id tryed many diffrent things with it and it like geckos, so i eventuly (with a LOT of work) got it to eatting pink mice (thawed ones!) that were gecko sented. it took a long while but i eventuly had the particular hatchling eating unsented thawed pink mice.

every feeding attempt recorded, the snake went out with this record. i spent a good deal of time explaning how and who to do things with the guy long before he took the snake home (it was on lay-bys)

so the now eating regulary snake went to its new home. APPARENTLY the guys nighour sugessted to him that it would be a good idea to feed it lizards from the wild, APPARENTLY he also fed it crickets! (*** no snake in the history of the world eats incects)

so he brought the snake in concerned about the fack that it wasent eating, i gave it a look over looking for any obvouse problems concidering its diet, the snake looked fine to me, good body mass, no mites it was in the akward stage of a shed thou, a little smal but still within the normal size range for a animal of its age (concidering its diet)

and so i found my self once again explaning how and why to do things. to the guy and the risks involved in the way it was beeing fed,

sadly thou i felt my cautions were falling on deaf ears, no dobut they will be back or call again with the same problem,

If you were selling the snake from a shop to a first timer, you shouldnt have even considered selling a trouble feeder to them to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
APPARENTLY he also fed it crickets! (*** no snake in the history of the world eats incects)

From memory we have 1 Australian species that eats insects, I can't remember off the top of my head without searching for it. As a guess I would say White Lipped for some reason. Someone will correct me though. There are a number of overseas species that eat insects, yabbies, etc.

That's not to say that a spotted would touch one.

If you were selling the snake from a shop to a first timer, you shouldnt have even considered selling a trouble feeder to them to begin with.

im not joing to aruge with you about "should haves"
the animle as in good health and have usfuccant unsented feeds to go out for sale, the anile wasent avalible for sale whilst its feeding was in question,

im not the sort to sell animals particular herps and birds the samy day they come in, i hold them back untill im happy with there ability to feed and what not.

at point of sale the feeding infomation was given to the new owners, they had also been in the store many a time and i had spent the time with them trying to educate them the best is could on the hows whats and whys of owning a reptile,

ive always offred on going suport to folks who buy reptiles.

and as stated the animl was sold to them last year, they have had the problem becoue they have strayed from the original infomation and support they had recived.

im doing my best to hellp them resulove this issue and get the animal back on track,
so you can take your pet store bashing elce where thank you very kindly as i wont have a bar of it!

granted that there are dodgy shops out there, and dodgy people too, but it works both ways.
today i could have simply NOT HELPED these people, i could have toled them "though titties" but i dint, im not like that,

im not joing to aruge with you about "should haves"
the animle as in good health and have usfuccant unsented feeds to go out for sale, the anile wasent avalible for sale whilst its feeding was in question,

im not the sort to sell animals particular herps and birds the samy day they come in, i hold them back untill im happy with there ability to feed and what not.

at point of sale the feeding infomation was given to the new owners, they had also been in the store many a time and i had spent the time with them trying to educate them the best is could on the hows whats and whys of owning a reptile,

ive always offred on going suport to folks who buy reptiles.

and as stated the animl was sold to them last year, they have had the problem becoue they have strayed from the original infomation and support they had recived.

im doing my best to hellp them resulove this issue and get the animal back on track,
so you can take your pet store bashing elce where thank you very kindly as i wont have a bar of it!

granted that there are dodgy shops out there, and dodgy people too, but it works both ways.
today i could have simply NOT HELPED these people, i could have toled them "though titties" but i dint, im not like that,

And to try and be a bit more constructive in relation to the answer you have given me:

You yourself know the snake was a trouble feeder, the fact that you needed to give such detailed instruction indicates that you knew that it really had the potential to become a major problem. Therefore the snake should never have been sold to an inexperienced keeper. Save snakes like that for more experienced keepers who can deal with it. I don't think you deserve praise for helping them now, because you should have helped them from day one by not selling them the snake to begin with.

I think you and mayham make some valid points. Still probably wouldnt of been best to sell him that snake but what more could you do than what you have done (in regards to feeding and such). This owner sounds really ignorant and i would probably call the rspca on him for the animals sake. How irrisponsible

Last edited:
I think you and mayham make some valid points. Still probably wouldnt of been best to sell him that snake but what more could you do than what you have done (in regards to feeding and such). This owner sounds really ignorant and i would probably call the rspca on him for the animals sake. How irrisponsible

me or the owner?

The owner is the irrisponsible one lol! Fancy buying an animal and not been able to or knowing how to properly care for it. Makes you wonder how their dog, cat or even child are been cared for.

The owner is the irrisponsible one lol! Fancy buying an animal and not been able to or knowing how to properly care for it. Makes you wonder how their dog, cat or even child are been cared for.

lol so true, but you know some people cant be told,
what through me off about this is after they got the snake home, i never heard from them again upuntill now. and i all ways do tell people if that have any questions, concerns or issues to contact the store as soon as possible,

but you can never tell with some people.

try and be a bit more constructive in relation to the answer you have given me:

define constructive

im simply saying it as it is,

you can't say that for the privet breeders out there who sell hatchlings over the internet to compleat stranges screen them to see who is worthy of having a snake, nor can you say that all the breeders out there hold back all the problem animals for experianced keepers.

or that the breeders would even offer to help thous who ened up with dificult animals.
but i guess that makes it ok then if the "breeder" says the animal is fine. dosent it.

then it must be something the new owner has done to cause the problem.
or in this case what your saying is that the store has caused a problem by getting a slow starter, holding it back untill its records show thats its doing what it should be and then selling it, with on going suport.

that dosent matter to you now dose it? it would be the exact same to you if the animal went in was fed once and went out with no aditinal help or infomation offered to whoever brought it, be they experianced keeper or new to the hobby.

but you wouldn't hold the same feelings for a breeder doing the same thing.
as long as the animal has had a few feeds it will be right.

I curious if this guy that bought it has a licence to keep it... if he doesn't then you'd be in the wrong for selling a reptile to an unlicenced person. and because of his ignorance you should call the people you got your licence through and have a chat to them about this guy. I hope yoy took down his details and licence details.

also you said in your first post it took awile for you to get it feeding and that this guy simply wasn't listerning to you how to care for the animal, why sell it to someone thats ignorant and ill informed how to care for the animal? every back yard to big reptile breeder knows that you should never sell a problem feeder to a newb and only to a exsperianced keeper. for the continuen health and observation of the animal.

but there's not much you can do now appart from "slapping him over the head" telling him to wake up to himself, maybe offer him a healthy animal and taking the poor lil bugger back. telling him to buy keeping and breeding australian reptiles, a bag of mice, ask about his living conditions of the snakes and really making him listern. tell him if he doesn't start doing right by the animal you will just have to report him. I know it sound cruel but he is being cruel to the animal and you need to ask yourself do you care about the animal or do you care for the monie?

IMO, the person who bought the snake is very irresponsible and you should report them to the relevant authorities.

The snake was most likely sold in the first place because pyro probably works at a pet store (going by the "customer" terms), and selling animals, regardless of origin and nature, is what pet stores do.

The guy simply sounds ignorant. Reporting him would be a good idea for the snake's sake. You should have no problem reporting him should you have his licence details (and you would have, as it is illegal other wise).

(*** no snake in the history of the world eats incects)

Lolwut? xD Blindsnakes are found everywhere (often mistaken for worms), and they eat ant lavae.

loads of snakes in the world eat insects

Spot on. Juvenile A. superbus have had insect parts recorded in their stomach contents (I think a paper appeared in Herpetofauna many years ago).

Other examples include some of the smaller Vipera species from Europe, Vipera ursinii for example.

Never heard of it occuring in boids though

Perhaps that's where the neighbour got the idea.

Sometimes the person buying the animal cannot hear (absorb) the verbal information offered about taking care of the animal, the fact being they are too excited about their purchase, therefore

FACT SHEETS AND ADVICE should be written and given to the new keeper when taking possession of the animal. That is good business practice.

And a problem feeder should never be moved on especially to a inexperienced keeper
Hope the poor little python survives
Cheers
Sandee :)

HI Pyrodarknessanny,
Im glad to hear that you are doing your best to help your customer.
I too work in a petshop, and we give out all advice and info sheets to customers before they go home, and we refuse to sell a snake that isnt eating properly as it normal causes to many more problems.
It is hard when working in a petshop to make sure that a reptile (or any animal for that matter) is going to be going to the right people and the right home. You are allowed to tell the customer that you wont sell them the animal it you don't think that they are fit to own it.
But in future if this helps, we make sure that they leave the shop with infomation sheets and we show all new reptile owners how to feed their animal before it goes home too. This normally helps. We also keep a record of all their phone numbers and give them a call once every few months to see how the snake is going too. This normally helps, and i havent any body back in the shop with one of our snakes that does eat ever.

sweethips, do you mean that you feed the animal (by "showing them how to feed their animal before it goes home"), before it leaves the store?

think thats what she said Aiigaru.

sweethips you run your store very well for the sound of it, its just a shame moste don't take on the same practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back