some people

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i 'was' a member of a local general site and often noticed posts from people looking for fish tanks or other stuff for lizards

ive also seen members ask where they can get lizards, general opinions seem to be 'go out bush and find one to take home'

often i very nicely remind them taking animals from the wild is illegal so is owning one without a licence and to own one you must buy from a licenced breeder

tonight someone had an ad looking for an enclosure and a few had some to sell, another woman posted her 'friends' bearded dragon was pregnant
:rolleyes: and stated if the lady was happy to wait she could have one of the babies

again i very nicely put up a link to the licence section and reminded them to own lizards without a licence is illegal

seems the site owners no longer care and have removed my membership and blocked me

thats ok time to have a nice little chat to the local ranger me thinks, if i have to jump thru hoops and pay to do the right thing so should they, so no more nice guy and if people here think that im being nasty well i wont make any apology for trying to do the right thing by the lizards, i doubt any of them know how to look after one properly and the thought of one being mistreated upsets me a lot

I'm pretty sure you don't need a license for blue tongue lizards. Bearded dragons are a different story though. Hard to police something like blueys when there is no paperwork etc involved. And naturally you can't just be taking from the wild.

I know how frustrating it is with ignorant, or just plain non caring people when it comes to animals. For all of us that are out there doing the right thing, there are 10 who don't care, or don't know. All we can do, is inform those with the power to fix it. I say good for you, to alert the local ranger, and I hope they do something about it!

I personally think you're doing the right thing. They're obviously showing a complete disregard for the law, who's to say they wont towards the lizard when they simply "get bored".
Good on you Jeannine!

I'm pretty sure you don't need a license for blue tongue lizards. Bearded dragons are a different story though. Hard to police something like blueys when there is no paperwork etc involved. And naturally you can't just be taking from the wild.
pretty sure you need a licence for any sort of reptile in nsw (which is where the op is) correct me if im wrong though :)but i think only certain birds are exempt

wrong...all reptiles are protected and you need to have a license for all of them

i 'was' a member of a local general site and often noticed posts from people looking for fish tanks or other stuff for lizards

ive also seen members ask where they can get lizards, general opinions seem to be 'go out bush and find one to take home'

often i very nicely remind them taking animals from the wild is illegal so is owning one without a licence and to own one you must buy from a licenced breeder

tonight someone had an ad looking for an enclosure and a few had some to sell, another woman posted her 'friends' bearded dragon was pregnant
:rolleyes: and stated if the lady was happy to wait she could have one of the babies

again i very nicely put up a link to the licence section and reminded them to own lizards without a licence is illegal

seems the site owners no longer care and have removed my membership and blocked me

thats ok time to have a nice little chat to the local ranger me thinks, if i have to jump thru hoops and pay to do the right thing so should they, so no more nice guy and if people here think that im being nasty well i wont make any apology for trying to do the right thing by the lizards, i doubt any of them know how to look after one properly and the thought of one being mistreated upsets me a lot

sic em jeannine

sunday night someone had a post asking where to get rats from and said they would be used for snakes, heaps posted that frozen rats/mice/etc could be bought at any of the pet shops around here, one lady asked why frozen when she thought you could feed live to your snakes

i was nice and said feeding live food was now illegal and she was ok with that because as she said she didnt realise

we had one smart alex say he feed his snakes live food, had tried frozen and it wouldnt eat it, he then said one quick squeal and it was all over, i again 'nicely' said that it was illegal unless there was no other choice and by feeding live he was risking his snake possibly being injured (rather brave of me seeing as im not a snake person
:lol:) but again some think its ok and im beginning to think the owner personally gets a bit of a kick out of

i intend to 'sic em' no doubt i shall have a visit this year from the ranger to look at my lizards and take photos and ill be mentioning this site to him, i dont mind jumping thru hoops because i know i am personally doing the right thing by my reptiles and it annoys me when others dont

as far as i know ALL reptiles in NSW must be owned, bought or sold by licensed people

i checked thru hubbys FB and i have indeed been removed and blocked, allow posts that contain 'illegal activities' is also against the sites rules and i have warned them they could be in trouble for letting it happen they have chosen to ignore and block me so i own them nothing now

see what happens when im nice, maybe ill go back to being a witch
:evil:

Sorry dragonlover, but your wrong!

There are certain sp. in vic u dont need a license for. Blotched and eastern blue tongues are two of them. You are right in that yes, all reps are protected and you cannot take them from the wild.

Feel free to have a read.

Private Wildlife Licences

Sorry dragonlover, but your wrong!

There are certain sp. in vic u dont need a license for. Blotched and eastern blue tongues are two of them. You are right in that yes, all reps are protected and you cannot take them from the wild.

Feel free to have a read.

Private Wildlife Licences
nsw and vic have different laws , all states have different laws :) just checked the licensing site and from what i can tell only birds are exempt all reptiles must be licensed and in your log book

Last edited:
Yep thats right thomassss. I wasnt saying that was the case in NSW.

Jeannine, please dont take this the wrong way, but icouldnt give a flying fox what state u live in. If u go back and read it, I did stipulate the state of Vic!!!

My post was directed at dragonlovers very blanket remark of:

wrong...all reptiles are protected and you need to have a license for all of them.

I was merely saying that this is not the case everywhere. This is a national / international forum, obviously there are differing laws that corrospond to each. Its not helpfull when people stand high n mighty and throw comments out there that arent factually correct, and confuse people even further

ah ok bowdnboy no worries and we dont have any flying foxes out this way, well none that ive seen so far :lol:

nah no need for me to name the site, have a history of a certain stalker following me from forum to forum and wouldnt be surprised if 'they' were in here and i refuse to give them a chance to join the site and warn the 'owners'
;)

goodluck! Been there and tried that. I now know not to waste my time with DERM for that. I just avoid those people like the plague

well its worth a try Manda, the ranger here seems a pretty decent bloke, perhaps being a small place makes a difference

im never wrong either moosenoose just ask my hubby
:lol:

its ok, im tight with NPSW workers here in adelaide...i have there mobile numbers and they love me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back