some people

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i 'was' a member of a local general site and often noticed posts from people looking for fish tanks or other stuff for lizards

ive also seen members ask where they can get lizards, general opinions seem to be 'go out bush and find one to take home'

often i very nicely remind them taking animals from the wild is illegal so is owning one without a licence and to own one you must buy from a licenced breeder

tonight someone had an ad looking for an enclosure and a few had some to sell, another woman posted her 'friends' bearded dragon was pregnant
:rolleyes: and stated if the lady was happy to wait she could have one of the babies

again i very nicely put up a link to the licence section and reminded them to own lizards without a licence is illegal

seems the site owners no longer care and have removed my membership and blocked me

thats ok time to have a nice little chat to the local ranger me thinks, if i have to jump thru hoops and pay to do the right thing so should they, so no more nice guy and if people here think that im being nasty well i wont make any apology for trying to do the right thing by the lizards, i doubt any of them know how to look after one properly and the thought of one being mistreated upsets me a lot
I'm a bit confused. If a person had eggs about to drop, and put someone on the waiting list, whats the problem?

I'm a bit confused. If a person had eggs about to drop, and put someone on the waiting list, whats the problem?
ahh that you need a licence to own any type of reptile in nsw ,not that confusing plenty of posts in the thread clearing it up :) its not really about the waiting list

ahh that you need a licence to own any type of reptile in nsw ,not that confusing plenty of posts in the thread clearing it up :) its not really about the waiting list
I understand that. Where did the info come from that the buyers or sellers dont have a license. Just because someone says that a friend has some reps for sale, does'nt mean either party does'nt have a license.

I understand that. Where did the info come from that the buyers or sellers dont have a license. Just because someone says that a friend has some reps for sale, does'nt mean either party does'nt have a license.
ahh touche :) i had thought of that but the op states that the general opinion on the site in question is "to go and get one from the bush" so we don't really know if the person who has made the comment about the hatchies is the same person who made the comment about taking them from the bush

i have no idea if the person whos 'friend' has a gravid BD is licensed or not though going by the general opinion of most who had posted on said site taking them from the wild is not only allowed but encouraged, if they are licensed breeders then perhaps they needed to express that if the person was interested in getting a baby they would have needed to apply for the license while they were waiting

secondly i kind of get the impression the person offering babies is expecting the BD to have 'live' babies not the eggs which will need to be incubated, so when this poor dragon drops her eggs im going to say they will just leave them where they were laid, provided of course they even noticed the female has laid eggs in the first place, all are in for a rude shock if they think 'mummies' going to drop a bunch of babies which also implies these people have NO idea how to correctly look after their dragons and im also betting a lot of them arent providing a basking light, UVB lights, correct temps, calcium suppliments, etc all the stuff a knowledgeable owner should be providing and the numerous requests for fish tanks to keep their reptiles in kind of also indicates they intend to stick said fish tank in front of a window in the hopes that will be all thats needed....a lot of 'assumptions' yes i agree however these have been based on things i have personally seen on that site

one lady i chat to now and then who works in a shop has a BD, no license, no feeding of vegies, no calcium supplements, no UVB light, no basking lights and has the fish tank sitting in front of a window so im guessing the other uneducated ones in the site do the same thing, and ive not been the ONLY person to make a comment in posts about reptiles about having to have a license and suggesting owners google how to look after these reptiles properly but seems the powers that be DONT give a damn about 'us' educating the members and helping their lizards

oh and another one recently was looking for fish tank and said they wanted one for a turtle, then asked where she could get a turtle from, and guess what? she was told to go out the 'lake' just out of town here and catch one using a baited fishing line cause there are heaps of them out there and they are always taking fish bait from the people fishing out there

failing to mention the need to have a license to own one kind of indicates NONE of them have licenses in the first place

you assume way too much, many people who dont have a license still treat their reptiles better than some who have one and how does failing to mention the need for a license show the seller doesnt have one?

Fish tanks make great reptile tanks are cheap and can be easily set up for many species in front of me i have jacky's, mountain dragons, and 2 forms of cunninghams in fish tanks before you make some more assumptions no they are not next to my window and yes i did drain the water out first. My poor lizards i know the 3-4 foot tanks cost me $50 or less second hand if only i spent the $400 on a nice looking piece of furniture to match my tv unit my lizards might get proper care.

i know a few people with no license and one has had his 2 blue tongues for 15+ years, should i ring my local ranger to protect his lizards from his uneducated reptile keeping skills? i mean because he did not pay his fee to the government he must be torturing those poor animals. If only he received proper keeping advice with the purchase of a license like the rest of us right?

Last edited:
a lot of assumptions made on peoples views in the thread

i never said 'everyone' who doesnt have a license doesnt treat their reptiles badly, again im going on by what i have personally 'seen' in this site, some still think its ok to feed their snakes 'live' food which we all know is illegal not to mention the risk to both animals involved

never said fish tanks were bad, again views based on observations, when asked about things like oh lets say 'what temps are the hot and cold end'? they usually go 'what?' do wattage is your UV, again they usually go 'what'?

if you have a friend living in NSW who has a reptiles unlicensed and your not reporting him then your condoning his actions, no seller would sell someone a lizard and risk getting into trouble so it leaves one to 'assume' where he got it from and i again i never said 'all' people mistreated their animals but not having a license also does NOT make someone a better owner

if 'you' have to pay a fee to the government why shouldnt your friend? just because he looks after them does that mean its ok to break the law? if there was a law that said if someone you know is found to have reptiles and no license you would also be fined and have your animals removed would you dob them in or say 'oh to heck with it ill risk it'?

i cant believe people in here are condoning illegal activities but then again i really shouldnt be surprised after all i see people telling others to treat their loved ones and family members with disrespect

I think you probably got banned for being a busy body and sticking your nose where it wasn't wanted. Jmo.

well in that case every single person in THIS forum should be banned shouldnt they? :rolleyes:

if you post something on the net then you are giving everyone permission to 'stick' their noses in your business and you must except comments, opinions and views both good and BAD now mustnt you

your entitled to your opinion the same i am entitled to MINE

have a 'nice' day

This hobby was founded on "unlicenced" collectors. Having a licence doesn't automatically give the licence holder knowledge, afer all it's just a piece of paper to say you have paid your fee for the right to own reptiles/ amphibians/ mamals/birds.

I have read countless posts from people that IMO should just pack everything up and return it to the store they bought it from untill they gain an acceptable knowledge base THEN look at getting any live animal.

Education is important and kudos to the OP for doing her part. The law is the law, it's as simple as that. The problem is ........ you can't fix stupid !

i would like once more to say i am not saying anyone without a license is a danger to their reptiles

however in this case, from posts/threads/comments ive seen viewed on that site MOST would have no idea how to look after one nor have a licenses to own one

again as i said 'most' believe its ok for the to go bush and TAKE anything they want from the wild with little to no knowledge on how to look after them properly

i am still 'CONVINCED' person B thinks their friends dragon is gunna pop out LIVE babies and not the eggs that will need incubating. if i had not been banned perhaps i would have chatted to this person to try and get exact information THEN put her on the right track, now i envisage eggs being dropped everywhere and nothing done to look after them, which is cruel ....... naturally i could again be wrong but i am judging on what these people have posted themselves and i have had others back me on now and then

and like i said if you dont want other peoples opinions on things then perhaps the internet is a place you really shouldnt be

and if its good enough for one person to pay a 'fee' to the government (even if you dont agree with it) then not only is it good enough for everyone else to pay but if you know of anyone who has reptiles and NO license then morally you should be reporting them, to do nothing and let them get away with it is condoning illegal activities and it makes you wonder what other law breaking activities one would let a person get away with

and like i said if you dont want other peoples opinions on things then perhaps the internet is a place you really shouldnt be

and if its good enough for one person to pay a 'fee' to the government (even if you dont agree with it) then not only is it good enough for everyone else to pay but if you know of anyone who has reptiles and NO license then morally you should be reporting them, to do nothing and let them get away with it is condoning illegal activities and it makes you wonder what other law breaking activities one would let a person get away with

Yeah, I heard that people who keep off license reptiles usually also speed, eat grapes from coles without paying and eventually turn in to drug lords and super villains :rolleyes:

P.S writing in bold all the time is kind of annoying....just a tip ;)

well in that case every single person in THIS forum should be banned shouldnt they? :rolleyes:

if you post something on the net then you are giving everyone permission to 'stick' their noses in your business and you must except comments, opinions and views both good and BAD now mustnt you

your entitled to your opinion the same i am entitled to MINE

have a 'nice' day

I never said you weren't entitled, just that I believe that's why you got banned in the first place.

Why did you emphasize the word nice in your last sentence? Was it because you wanted me to know you didn't really mean it? I would have thought not saying it at all would have made that point rather than trying to be passive aggressive.

arent beardies and blueys able to be kept off licence in the act and even qld
maybe i dont know , but where talking about nsw here buddy:) so there laws don't apply here , in nsw you need a licence

psst another tip, i use bold because i have to wear glasses and sometimes have trouble seeing the writing, im sure im not the only person with bad eyes on here who might appreciate besides i dont remember seeing any rule that said it cant be used

oh i meant it, i had a reason to emphasize it, maybe it went thru to the keeper? oh well such is life

maybe richard, however as stated in my opening post this is a local one and a quick look at my information would show im from NSW hence im talking about NSW laws which require one to hold a license before getting a reptile and also they should be bought from a breeder NOT taken from the wild

i simply cant walk out into the bush and decide to take home a bearded dragon, a shingleback, turtle or anything else i find crossing my path like 'some' have suggested to others in the site im talking about

Batanga, I would never eat grapes from coles without paying, peanuts maybe:D. And to the op, all I was trying to say was, don't make assumptions. Without sounding condescending, maybe if you eased up a touch, you may not have been banned. P.S. If they dont know what they're doing, better the eggs get left to die, than cook 'em, hatch 'em, and then raise 'em without uv or calcium.

well today i had my yearly visit from the local ranger and a young assistance he had with him, everything passed with flying colors, he checked the reptiles out, took photos of them and their enclosures, only thing i couldnt put my hands on was my renewed license so ive applied for a copy and he was happy enough to see my old one and when i get the copy of my renewed one ill take it down and show it to him

and i mentioned the local site and what i had seen happening in there, think they might be 'watched' for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back