some red thing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Javier, Wet that snake immediately.
wet paper towel substrate - if it begins to dry it will be detrimental.

Use the sugar syrup until you go to the vet,
Cheers
Adam

I agree. Definitely lots of moisture. What's the benefit of the sugar syrup though ad?

ive never used a syrup but raw salt or sugar causes the prolapse to shrink by osmosis
we used to use salt or sugar to shrink cattle prolapse before reinserting it.

Philk,
The sugar syrup is a tried and tested method of fixing prolapse, I have used it previously to great effect. I have also had disaster with prolapse, not related to the sugar syrup - so I have seen first hand the results.
There is a very simple explanation to its effectiveness but Im at a loss to recall it -but if you are keen search the chondro forums. Something like the chemical balance reduces the swelling allowing it to retract.
That animal looks quite mature and should have strong enough muscles to control prolapse, even more reason for the sugar syrup to work.

As he cant get to a vet til tomorrow anyway.....

Philk,
The sugar syrup is a tried and tested method of fixing prolapse, I have used it previously to great effect. I have also had disaster with prolapse, not related to the sugar syrup - so I have seen first hand the results.
There is a very simple explanation to its effectiveness but Im at a loss to recall it -but if you are keen search the chondro forums. Something like the chemical balance reduces the swelling allowing it to retract.
That animal looks quite mature and should have strong enough muscles to control prolapse, even more reason for the sugar syrup to work.

As he cant get to a vet til tomorrow anyway.....

I wasn't doubting you, if that's what it sounded like I was just wondering as I'd never heard of it. It makes sense though, as the water would be drawn out of the prolapse by osmosis, reducing the swelling.

Yes Javier- wet the paper towel,
Remove anything that the animal can drag it over too - branches, water bowls etc.
Make up the sugar syrup and get him soaking in it,

Thanks elfir - sounds like the thing - raw salt though! I reckon they would moo!

Cheers
Ad

No worries Phil - not taken that way either,
Cheers
Adam

Plain water will cause the prolapse to swell, very strong sugar water will cause the swelling to go down.

not to take over the thread, but i had a costal do a crap on the lawn the other day, and it looked similar to that, how the tube came out, but it went back in after then it slithered away.
the poo also had a tiny little bit of watery blood after it, but i thought that was because he was maybe a little blocked up.
i had been giving it warm baths and passing it thru my hands (the snake) to help it poo

i know but i cant all the ones who deal with reptiles are either to far away or the bloke isnt there
but im taking him tomozza up to the vet
eany other info greatly apreciated

did you put him on the sugar syrup?

just keep an eye on him, let us know if swelling starts going down, im interested to know how long it takes to start working if it does.

hope snakey is ok!

yeah he is at the vet now the vet said he cant garantee that he will survive coz he is so small to work with
so yeah fingers crossed

Fingers crossed here for the little guy ! hope he pulls through .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back