some red thing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive never used a syrup but raw salt or sugar causes the prolapse to shrink by osmosis
we used to use salt or sugar to shrink cattle prolapse before reinserting it.

Raw sugar works by creating a water flow from an area of low sugar concentration (the prolapse) to an area of high concentration (the great big blob of sugar) thus drawing fluid out of the prolapse. This will only work if the swelling is due to oedema, not f the swelling is purely bulk of tissue.
Raw salt is the worst thing in the world to use in this situation. Salt at that concentration will cause severe mucous membrane damage so even if the swelling is reduced (which it will still achieve) the mucous membrane surface may well slough off with disasterous results. This will be far more evident in a small prolapse area like a snake prolapse than in a large one like a cattle prolapse where it is usually uterine tissue and some degree of slough is typical regadrless of what you use.
At the end of the day, the longer you leave it, the less chance you have of success

Awesome :) Glad to hear there is a happy ending to this story.

First of all, great news for the little guy. Happy to hear he is fine. Secondly, mate if you ever need a vet I think the most recomends vet in Victoria is Peter Cameron from Alt North. I live nearly 3 hours away from Altona and he is my no. 1 vet to go to. He is very helpful, is honest and god priced too. He has even talked me through some things over the phone. Which vet did you go to?

glad hes feeling better now.
do you have anymore pics of him before the prolapse?

Vet

The best Vet around the west is Peter Cameron in Millers Road Altona North. He has his own pretty large reptile collection and knows his stuff.

No offence but if you are going to have reptiles you need to borrow some good relevant books from the local library, grab some off ebay or suck up to people and grab some cheap. The info you can get from these books could save you fom a lot of grief and in the very least you will be a better reptile keeper for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back