--------------sore mouth ????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for advice,
I have a juvenile Hypo Coastal Carpet, it has always been aggro....striking at the glass as I walk past, 10 or more strikes to my hand when handling etc
I had been feeding 2 rat pinkies roughly weekly, then noticed that the snake would grab, constrict and drop the pinkie. It has done that now three times over three weeks. My thought is that the snake has perhaps hurt its mouth striking at the cage frame, glass etc, and is at present unable to eat.
Any advice would be appreciated:?
Thanks guys-

two rats a week.. is that a bit to much maybe?

I think that's the point Dan is trying to make. One a week is quite sufficient unless there has been some issues and then you'd hardly need to feed it 2.
Try and cut back and see how it goes. Snakes are pigs and they will eat whatever you put in front of them regardless of if they are hungry, it's a natural reaction as in the wild this might have been their last meal for months so they stuff themselves! Be careful not to overfeed as you can put alot of strain on the young snakes body. I would suggest leaving it be for at least 2 weeks now and then feed it only 1 rat.
Good Luck
Mell :D

If the snake is capable of a pinky rat perhaps you could try a large weaner mouse or small adult. You'd be surprised just what they can handle & he would get more nourishment from a more mature mouse than a pinky rat - well that's what I've been told anyway & I believe it makes sense. But if he's spitting the pinkies out because his mouth is sore, maybe you need to seek vet attention incase it gets infected.

thanks for that, yes very prepared to try the bigger mouse as relates to the food value that they offer.And yes I aggree, if no improvement fairly quickly, I will have to talk to a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back