Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had him since a hatchy? how old is he now? he has great colour for his size.

If your talking about my spencers....
I think he was a few months old when I got him , I might of had him for 3 years , time gets away , I would have to look @ my lisenice thingy , so maybe I have had him for 2.5-3 years add another 2-6 months before I go him

love the monitors ..am leaning towards them more and more ..and yes, we will have plenty of space for a out door setup ..I live in a rural area , we bought a 3acre block that we are building on so when we actually settle on our own turf that will be a project , that I will get my hubby to build for me :) ...at the moment we live on 1800 acres but its owned by the forestry ,they gave us the option to buy ,but as the trees grow and become more condensed and being eucalypt ,the fire fear is greatly increasing in me and every time I see smoke ,,I panic ...so am glad we decided to go down in size and settle on 3 ,less maintenece and bit more peace of mind ...

I keep my spencers in outdoor enclosures (Brisbane coast so warm enough). I always give them a foot at least of sand loam for digging. and then over that in a big heap, a bale of straw or two. They will always dig a burrow under the straw for nighttime and for winter retreat. Underneath the sand is squaremesh that runs at least a foot in from the sides of the pit so they won't dig their way out. I used to give them a hotspot light for the cooler months but frankly, I turned it off one summer and never turned it back on and they do fine anyway. From May to September, they spend most of their time in the burrow, only emerging on bright warm days for an hour or two and they aren't fed then either. The southern end of the cages is covered, either in plastic sheeting or colourbond to protect them from the storms and rain and the burrow is protected from flooding that way. I have racks built so they can get up on them and see whats happening around them and sunbath, they love that. They always have access to a large tub of water and enjoy bathing in it as well. They are a very simple goanna to keep, not aggressive and pretty calm. Excellent eaters too (of fingers or food, they don't discriminate when lunging at dinner).

i could email you a 14 page care sheet i was sent by a breeder up brisbane way. it has lotsa pics too

:D

there on my list, just a pitty i cant be bothered to jump to class two yet. rofl rofl.

More pics of spencers...

ive got a big ol soft spot for monitors too...

spencers and lacies being my fav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back