Spotted python care :-)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
Well my mum's finally said yes to a Spotted Python and I'm super exited, anyways I've got a few questions...
I have an old click-clack that's 35x21x21cm - LxHxD, will this be appropriate to house a hatchling Spotted python in?

I'm going to get a heat mat, thermostat and thermometer, is 30 degrees the appropriate temperature for these snakes, on the hot end?

Do they require UV lighting?

How many times a week do they need to be fed?
How do I know when he/her is ready for the meals?

what sized enclosure will I need when he/she is an adult?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 153
I have an old click-clack that's 35x21x21cm - LxHxD, will this be appropriate to house a hatchling Spotted python in? Yes

I'm going to get a heat mat, thermostat and thermometer, is 30 degrees the appropriate temperature for these snakes, on the hot end? Make it 32/34

Do they require UV lighting? No

How many times a week do they need to be fed? Once a week is fine

You'll want to be very careful with a tub like that, the lids aren't always very secure. They're okay for most animals (fish, mice, hatchy lizards) however for snakes they can sometimes push the tops off. You can weight the lids, but you only have to forget once and you can lose the baby. I'd recommend buying one of the 5L or 7L sistema tubs, then drill holes in the lid/side for ventilation. (I like sistema because the plastic is clear and you can still see into them, and the lids are really secure).

Adult enclosure sizes your minimum should be: longest side of the tank, half the length of the snake. Shortest side, 1/4 or 1/5 the length of the snake. If a spotted gets to 4 foot long, the long side of the tank should be atleast 2 foot. 3+ (90cm+) will give them more room to move. They don't really climb, so floor space is more important than height.

Didn't think about that, thanks so much Ramy, I've actually got one of those tubs lying around I'll use that instead :D

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering would a 3ft long Exo Terra be suitable for an adult spotted python?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't seem to find an answer on which substrate is best for Spotted Pythons, so what is the best substrate for them?

use breeders choice kitty litter for the substrate, it doesn't actually look that bad, and its not bad for snakes or anything, its pretty much just recycled newspaper pellets
use this website, i used the stimsons python care sheet from dolittle farm, and it was really helpful... http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/spotted.pdf

Last edited:
Okay! Thanks guys :D

As she's going to be a hatchling, I was going to put her on absorbent paper towels, is this okay like the newspaper idea, as I don't like the inks that are on newspaper. Thanks Skyepie very helpful care sheet ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Later next week I'm heading to Kmart to buy a 20L Plastic container and then to Bunnings to pickup a soldering iron and some dowel, so I can make a click-clack for my new snake, that I'm getting soon. :D as I found a great thread on here about how to make one.

I'm also going to my locale pet shop to pickup a thermostat and a small heat mat, so I'm all pretty much set to go.

Yea, 3ft Exo Terra enclosures should be a good size.

Remember when you buy the 20L plastic tub; you want to either have clips on all 4 sides or test the lid to check it doesn't have enough flex to let a python out. Hatchies are small, and stronger than they look. You can't be too secure. It's better to be smaller and more secure for hatchlings. They spend most of their time hiding for the first while anyway, and don't mind the smaller space.

EDIT: the one thing that care sheet didn't mention (as far as I could see) was feed size. Generally, we recommend feeding something big enough that there's a visible bulge in the belly after eating. It should take a little while to swallow, a snake can eat something wider than it's head very easily. Especially for hatchlings, you want to increase the feed size as soon as they can take something bigger. There isn't a lot to a pinky.

Last edited:
Cool thanks, Ramy. Yeah the container has clips on the sides so it's pretty strong, I went to Big W this morning and found a 7L sisterma tub with clips don't know if this is a good size?

As I was thinking it might be a better size for a hatchling as like you said they hide a lot and I feel he/she will feel more secure.

As with heating just use a heat mat covering 1/3 of the bottom on the outside of the click-clack, on a thermostat set to 31-32 degrees hot side?

7L sistema are a popular size for hatchies, your baby should be very happy in there. Offer a hide or two (light-bulb boxes work pretty well), but they may hide under the paper.

I think 31-32 is a good temp on the hot side, some people prefer a little hotter but I don't see the need. It sounds like you're doing well.

I quite liked this guide for click-clack construction, you don't have to use grid paper but the layout is good:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/click-clack-precision-205335/

Last edited:
Thanks Ramy! ;) I'm going to big W on Wednesday and I'll pick up the 7L sistema tub, I've got heaps of light globe boxes lying around, I'm going to be using paper towel for substrate as I've seen a lot of people use, I've got another question do i need to stick the heat mat on the bottom of the tub or just place the tub on it?

http://www.ultimatereptiles.com.au/...Mazing_zoom2.tpl&product_id=91&category_id=51

This is the thermostat I'm going to purchase for my heat mat are they good?

Thanks iamwilso, can u show me a pic of how your click-clack looks with the heat mat and the tile?

Kinda hard to see but the tile that is upside down has the heat mat attached to it, sit about 1/3 of your click clack on this side creating a warm end, the tile helps to disperse the heat evenly, the other tile is just there to keep the click clack level. Floor tiles are pretty easy to get hold of tiling stores usually have left overs or seconds.

abyqybu5.jpg

Thanks heaps iamwilso :) Is the heat mat stuck to the tile?

I've found a breeder that sells stimson python's and really like the look of them, so my question is are they the same as spotted or children?

That particular heat mat is attached to the tile it has an adhesive backing on the mat, I do have others tho that aren't attached and they do the same job. I have no actual experience with stimpsons but I believe there very much the same, stimpsons are smaller tho.

Cheers, dose the heat mat itself need to be on something? Like sandwich the heat mat between the 2 tiles so it's not on the bench, sorry I'm new to snakes haha or can I just put the tub on the heat mat?

Last edited:
I'm picking up a Pine 3 ft reptile enclosure soon, and want to know is this the appropriate kind of enclosure for a stimsons python?

Also would it be a good idea to have the click-clack in the adult enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back